Sad news about my nephew Ryan.

Awhile back, I'd asked you all to help me cheer my nephew Ryan, who was battling cancer for the third time. Ryan passed away at 1 am this morning, the day of his 11th birthday. A couple weeks ago, my sister passed on the news that it was time to begin preparing the children for this, that Ryan's cancer was growing fast and had spread. If you'd keep his family in your prayers, I'd greatly appreciate it; he has an older and younger brother. This afternoon, I have to tell our boys the news, and I'm dreading it. This is perhaps the saddest event of my lifetime, to have to say goodbye to a child. He was such a wonderful little boy, and if you had had the privilege of knowing him, your life would have been touched in ways that cannot be captured in mere words. He was brave, kind, funny, sometimes naughty (what boy isn't?), and had this amazing smile that lasted through five years of cancer treatments, the inability to walk, the loss of his hearing. He had a big party in school about 2 weeks ago, complete with Spiderman, a magician, and lots of balloons. It was his last day of school, though no one knew that at the time. The following day, our younger son, who is very close to Ryan, spent the day with him. That was one of his last good days, for Ryan became very tired and has been sleeping more and more. I've likened him to a valiant little soldier--small but mighty in spirit--and he didn't just fight hard, he fought well. Until his body just grew too tired. Even the strongest and bravest grow tired. Thanks for your prayers for us as we face hard days ahead.

Laurie, you honor us by sharing your sad news. I just wanted to extend my deepest sympathies to Ryan's and your family. Ryan's presence will be missed by those he shared his personal life with as well as his scouting life with. Words fail me now...

Our deepest and sincere condolences.

Laurie,

My deepest sympathy to you and your family, your family will be in my prayers. I appreciate you sharing your sad news with us. I've known a couple of children like Ryan who's life was cut to short be waged the war against there illness with a dignity well beyond their years.

I pray that our Heavenly Father will be with you, your family and Ryan's family and brace you up and give you the wisdom to explain this tragedy you your kids.

May God be with you in this difficult time. The world will miss Ryan.

John Snediker

Laurie,

I sit here with tears in my eyes. I lost my dad to cancer 3 years ago. Even with him being in his late 70's and having lived a full and rewarding life, it hurt to lose him. My son is 11 and my greatest fear in life is losing him. I would be devastated. Your family's loss will be remembered in my prayers and thoughts. Please take what comfort you can in the knowledge that Ryan is free from his cancer, pain and treatment and will have all of eternity to be a little boy.

Just knowing that you care means so much, and to those of you have posted here or sent PMs, thank you. You've no idea how much your support helped me face my children today and deliver sad news, even the littlest who was confused at her teary family. Your messages of support upheld me. I've often been told that I'm the strong one in the family; I didn't feel strong, but I felt the prayers lifted today on our behalf and knew I wasn't alone. Ryan's viewing, funeral, and luncheon are on Monday. He has touched many many lives, and time is needed to allow for those traveling to be there. His funeral and all the things that go along with it have been paid for by the generosity of his school, friends, and others in the community who have come to know him these past few years. What a blessing that is, and what a blessing you are to me.

Laurie,

You may have some idea how emotional I am. When we talked a few weeks ago I said about the people I knew who had lost their son.

Soon after we had talked I was telling my sisters about Ryan. I had asked them to pray for him and all his family. We talked about my friends. I said how sad I was that I had lost track of them. Both had been really close to me, but over the years my phone calls had become letters, my letters had become a card at Christmas with a note and that had become just a card. Till they moved and the card came back.

Maggie, was very much a calming influence on me. She is the person who gave me the phrase "Take plenty of no notice." When we got married my wife who had been staying at my house spent the night before the wedding at Maggie's house and they had helped her dress for the wedding. They had organized the restored 1933 Bentley that we used. Maggie and Patsy were family.

When I received your e-mail this morning I forwarded it to both my sisters. Her Who Must Be Obeyed had to see the Doc. who had done her radiation so we were not home most of the day. When we finally did get home, as ever everything was a rush. OJ was rushing to get back to school for the first performance of the school play. He had been home and using my computer. He was preparing some presentation for some OA presentation. He seen your e-mail and sent it to his girl friend. That had a falling out about a week ago. Her mom is very active in the church they attend and they had been praying for Ryan. After the girl friend had got the e-mail she phoned and they managed to patch up what ever they had been fighting about. Up till now she had been ducking his calls.

I was busy getting ready for a key3 meeting. I checked my e-mail and out of no where there was an e-mail from Maggie. One of my sisters had tracked her down and forwarded the e-mail that you had sent me. Maggie never was much of a writer, she had just sent me her phone number and added a note. I called and we talked for about an hour.

The note she had added read " God Love Him".

Eamonn

PS

Ryan who we never met had in his passing been very influential in helping OJ and his girlfriend patch things up and brought me and my friend back together. - Not bad for his first day on the job. I echo Maggie when I say God Love Him.

My prayers are with you and your family today. There is no pian worse than loosing a loved one. Today on the feast day of Saint Blaze in the Catholic Church, i will pray to Saint Blaze in Ryan's name. I send condolences to you and your family. and may he soon meet the Great Scout Master of All Scouts.