Adults with no sons in the unit

I got some of the same looks when I coached Jr. Football prior to having children of my own. The good part was that since I didn't have a horse in that race, I didn't get the flack most coaches got for playing their sons in key positions.

I agree with the suggestion of trying to get him to help a struggling Troop. While it is always nice to have another resource, sometimes it is better to share for be betterment of Scouting as a whole.

On the Girl Scout issue, I must agree with those who say it is an inferior program. I have 2 sons and 2 daughters, the oldest two are a Bear and a Brownie. I often wish that my daughter could be a Cub Scout because the program is much better overall. Unlike some, I have no interest in making Scouts co-ed, that would weaken the program IMHO. I would like to have She-Cubs or something else that would mirror the BSA program as is, with minor modifications to appeal to girls rather than boys. Most of the program would not matter either way. I think mixing genders in the Dens or Troops tends to add another dynamic that is not the best for either gender.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic