Adults with no sons in the unit

MB counselors, while they do not pay a fee do fill out an application and do go through a background check (at least in my council). I don't see why they would not be allowed on outings.

Heck, I have many youth in our troop whose parents are not "members" on any sense of the word so an adult without a youth member is no problem.

If my troop had more SAs than youth members I'd still welcome an addtional SA if I thought he would be an asset. The benefit is in quality, not quantity.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our troop has a committee of 24 people (including SM and ASM's). At present time we have more committee people than Scouts, but that will be changing next month! Of the 24, 9 of them have no scouts in the troop. They are, for the most part, parents of former scouts who have aged out, but they still enjoy the program and the camaradarie. A few are veteran scouters who saw our troop in action and wanted to join us! They all perform a function (Dinner Chairman, Pancake Chairman, First Aid Meet Coach, etc.), attend summer camp and frequent weekend campouts, and are invaluable. The kids also seem to look up to these people and their veteran status. I would NEVER turn away a volunteer no matter how many we have. By the way, I myself have no scouts in the troop.(This message has been edited by eagle90)

I seem to detect a hint of disaproval about a guy with no sons wanting to be a Scouter.

I'm single and an ASM (and Roundtable Commisioner). Never been married and no kids; does that make me a danger or somewhat suspect (or am I reading between the lines too much?)?

I have been SM for 26 years and I'm single, but like the person this thread is about I was an Eagle. I was actually recruited from another troop by someone from my church. I have the privelege of working in Scouting with many adults over the years that had no kids, were single or had daughters. Just because they aren't married or don't have a son in the troop doesn't mean that they are unfit to help in the program or that they are wanting to join so they can prey on young boys.

Perish the thought Aardvark, my all time role model for a scoutmaster is Lemuel Siddons, he became scoutmaster as a single man and while later on he married and adopted a son, he contuned on as Scoutmaster till Whitey was way out of scouts and practising medicine. If I implied disapproval, I apologize for it, I meant none

Yes, and his adopted son became a fabulously wealthy actor in his own right and married -oops, I mean co-habitated with another fabulously wealthy (and good looking) actress on top of that who produced a not to shabby hockey goalie.

Oh no, I seem to be mixing fact and fiction.

In my observations, I noticed that adults unit leaders (over 90% male) with no sons in the unit tend to be some of the best and worst Scouters.  They tend to be either the type that are truly in Scouting for the benefit of the boys, not just their son(s) and do a fantastic job or petty egotistical men who get a feeling of power by "leading" boys because in their real life they either have no leadership responsibilities at home or in their professional lives.  And, by the way, the "good" types vastly out number the "bad" types.

I'd love to have an ASM that didn't have a son in the troop. Assuming they buy into the boy-leadership concept and have a strong understanding of scout skills, I think they'd be a great addition. He wouldn't bring some of the baggage that "we dads" have. He could look at some things with impartiality. And, he could give the POV from a non-parent, which can be good at times.

OOOPS!

Maybe I was thinking too hard about what I was reading!

AS I said, have no Boys of my own (although I'm my partners two boys "Uncle"!)

Enjoy going out and trying to relive my Scouting days; and think the Scouts appreciate "Mr Art's" help.

Sorry if ruffled any feathers!

Aardvark,

Actually, you have given me a good place to jump in here...And I understand your reading of the thread though it not what anyone intended. Having one son teetering on the brink of Eagledom and younger son (star) just looking for a way out of scouting...it appears that I am on the cusp of having no boy in scouting...but wanting to continue...my version of SWMBO thinks I will be viewed with the "evil eye" a few years down the road with no boys 'in' the troop and most of my contemporaries having left when their boys "aged out" and I am sorely conflicted...

As an Eagle Scout and an accomplished professional (even though hes a lawyer), I would find a way to involve him with the boys. On the surface this type of person is a great role model for the boys and someone whose presence can only benefit the troop. I would not want to see him hidden away in the obscure recesses of District and Council Committees.

I know of one former scouter that never married, never had children, but devoted 30 years to a scout troop. He took his nephew to a cub scout campout and got hooked. The nephew dropped out within a year or two, but the uncle spent decades in scouting.

A more avid scouter would be hard to find. He also spent many, many years taking care of his disabled mother. Scouting was an outlet for him, so it was beneficial to both him and to the young men that he led.

I have been a leader for more than 35 years around the world, while in the Army and now after I retired. One thing I learned is never turn down a volunteer. I have found some of the volunteers so willing to get the proper training that I felt good after leaving my Scout Troops overseas. I have even had a couple of men (former Scouts) approach me and thank me for finding someone to keep them going (both became Eagles). I am 61 now and still the Scoutmaster for my most recent Troop going on 10 years. I actually retired after a previous Troop of 8 years. Something was missing..it was me..and it keeps me going. Difference was that I started another Troop. Keeping up with the boys keeps me young (I think). My point..ask him what he want to accomplish. Get him to Woodbadge. Best place for him to figure out what he really wants to do.

I would love to have this "problem". It's hard enough to recruit new adult leaders, so I think it's great when some one comes to us and wants to be involved. I have been a Cubmaster for 5 years and my son is not in scouts. Just remember that now when an adult is put into the system as a new leader they automatically do a back ground check on them. I have also seen that a lot of times a parent/leader is often harder on their own son and that can sometimes push a boy away from scouting.

Becoming an Eagle is most scouts ultimate goal, so having another Eagle scout around is inspirational to the scouts. Just having him there as a resource for future Eagles will help them greatly.

I just finished reading these posts and I too detected a negative comment (the one about GIRL scouts). I have encountered a few people (thankfully very few) who wonder why a man with no sons would be involved in Boy Scouts.

I have been involved in BSA for thirty years (since I was 8), Arrow of Light, Eagle, and Vigil. I have been a Scout/Scouter longer than I have been married, longer than I've had children, heck, all my life. I have been a Leader with three Troops in three states and a District/Council Scouter as well. In case you have not figured it out yet I have only daughters. What I do have is a deep and abiding love for the BSA.

Please don't make the mistake of excluding someone because they lack sons, you may miss out on a valuable resource.