Blue and Gold Banquet Centerpiece Ideas

I have had dumped on me the task of making 12 centerpieces for our Blue and Gold Banquet (which is only a couple weeks away). I am not great at crafts. Can anyone suggest something that is pretty easy to do but a bit different? We usually have baloons but, as I say, I am looking for something different.

Like SemperParatus it basically depends on your theme...

We have had different themes for our pack and many different centerpieces... We use balloons, flowers, flashlighs in cans with designs poked in paper over top then ballons tied to can - for space theme - star designs in paper to shine on celing...

If you are using the 75th Anniversary for your theme, January's Roundtable helps show a Cub Scout Family Tree. You cut a styrofoam ball in half & paint it Blue or yellow. Take a smallish tree branch & stick it in the curved part of the ball. Hang from the branches slips of paper with important events in the life of the Cub Scout program. It also says you can string battery operated lights on the tree branches.

One suggestion - Why don't you have the boys in each Den make centerpieces? You just tell them your theme and how many they need to make and let them go from there. The boys love it and it makes them feel more a part of the celebration.

Here is an easy one - buy those flimsy, glittery, plastic top hats at the dollar store. Get colorful tissue paper and stuff the hat with the paper so that it 'poofs' out. Put a little styrofoam block inside with a stick coming out topped with the 75-year logo. Probably talking $2 (or less) a table. Very colorful and easy. I'm with ScoutNut, its best to let the boys do it and come up with their own ideas but it sounds like the decision has already been made.

I have seen the family tree in one of the publications I have - I was thinking about that. But your idea with the styrofoam ball is better than the plaster in a can I was reading.

We don't have a theme. And I am uncertain why we don't have the Dens make their own centerpieces - I think I am going to suggest that for next year.

Thanks for the ideas - please keep them coming. Right now I am leaning toward the styrofoam ball painted blue with a small branch sticking out with the family names on the branches. It should be easy to make and is different from previous years.

Ed

Why not adjust it a bit. Instead of the names of the families, have the names of the boys. Do it by den and have each tree topped by a diamond shaped piece of cardboard that has their rank badge on one side and the 75th emblem on the other.

I like the 75th anniversary theme. You can incorprate that with "a family treew" or do something with a cake or cupcake and the number 75 . Or do something with the number 75 - let the boys decorrate. Here the exciting part... If you tie in with the 75th and take some good digital pictures (make sure that the boys sign release forms) then send a press release to your local newspaper... They will be more inclined to publish pictures and an article if it ties in with something bigger than if its just a B and G

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll do well

spinnaker

• 1 month later...

What we did when my son was a Bear, I bought 8"x11" (approximation) wood plaque from Michaels, a craft store. We did a "Bear" camping scene! The boys glued green felt on the wood. they made a "tent" out of blue felt which they glued onto "tent poles" made up of about 4" pieces of a cut up 3 foot dowel that was the thinnest in width. I found wood trees & canoes (closest to a boat I could find in Michaels!) & the boys painted the trees green (what else!) & the boats brown & glued them onto the green felt. I have a low-temp mini-glue gun that they used under my supervision! I bought small American flags & the DL drilled a little hole for the flags & the boys glued them into the hole. He also drilled small slits for the trees & boats to be glued into. I bought small bears, which the boys glued to the green felt. I bought small aluminum candle holders (I think that's what they were)to use as a fire tub & they glued that onto the green felt & that was for their "Campfire". I cut up about 2 inch pieces of another 3 foot dowel, stained it brown & the boys glued them together to make "firewood" & then glued them into the "fire tub". Only 3 Bears went to the B&G that year, as quite a few boys dropped out because they and/or their parents couldn't be bothered working on their achievements.

When the boys were Webelos I's I had a different & smaller idea! Also, at that time we had 7 boys! I bought a 3" round piece of wood to use as a stand from Michaels. The boys stained that & the dowels (this time pre-cut & in a package!) They made the "Webelos Diamond Badge" out of felt. I had made templates for the badge (blue felt), the border (yellow felt) & the Yellow "corn thing" (I don't know what it really is - sorry), light blue felt for the "W" on the "corn thing", the attempted template of the small Boy Scout symbol on the bottom & the word "WEBELOS" handwritten on seam binding & glued on because nothing else worked! The boys glued the badge together, then glued the front part to the dowel & then glued the back part of the badge to the front part. I had printed on cardstock paper a card with each boy's name & den number on it, used a hole puncher (hand held) to make to holes so the dowel would go through & then they glued the dowel to the wood base.

This year they are Webelos II's & they did a "Bridge" centerpiece that I thought of. My brother, who owns his own constructiom company, was kind enough to cut 9 blocks of wood, about 2"x2"x6" & then carve out "stairs", 3 on each side for the bridge. Since we were running late with this I stained all the bridges & the pre-cut dowels myself. On the dowel is the "Arrow of Light" award made out of felt, tan for the "award, yellow arrow cut out of felt & I had a blue fabric marker we used as the border instead of blue felt, less cutting. I cut up flat craft sticks into pieces to make the "railing" on both sides of the bridge. I made the name cards again like I did for the previous year & this time I put on them Blue & Gold, March 20, 2005, the boys name & then den #. I made the DL's as it was my "test" model to see how it would come out! The boys used a low-temp mini-glue gun to glue the "railing" on the "bridge",they used the blue fabric marker to make the blue border on the tan felt, they glued the yellow felt arrow onto the tan felt background (can't think of another word), glued the front of the award to the dowel & then the back to the front. My brother drilled a small hole in the center of each "bridge" for the dowel & the boys glued the dowel with the AOL & their namecard into the hole. I bought Webelos & Boy Scout stickers from the Scout Shop & they put the Webelos stickers on both sides of the left side of the bridge & Boy Scout stickers on the both sides of the right side of the bridge so when the AOL is facing you it's going from Webelos to Boy Scouts. I hope that I made sense as it is 2:10 am EST! If you're allowed to post pictures here, I could do that!

Good luck with your ideas & I hope that mine have helped you and others. BTW, each den has their own centerpieces for their tables, each boy makes his own.

Judy