I dont know about the other youth out there but i myself have always wondered why there are not more training opportunities for the youth members. I mean the adults have a ton of trianing classes and we have JLTC. They always say scoutrun but then they dont continuosly train us and give us more opportunited to learn new details and ways of doing things......

Anyone have any thoughts?

I agree that the BSA does not offer a wide variety of training for us scouts. Personally I have always wanted to take Basic Backpacking Awareness but have never been allowed.

I am going to be on my council Brownsea JLT staff this summer. This is just as good as a training, you learn a lot, maybe even more than attending the JLT as a trainee.

They do have trainings out their but they are extremely specific to a position such as Dean Chief, OA Appanach Chief, ect. We do not have anything like HAT or places to interact with scouts from other troops to exchange styles of leadership and meeting plans (with the exception of a camporee)

I sagest you get involved in running some of the scout trainings you have already done your self.

I dont really know i mean i went to a cold weather camping course offered by another council just stuff to make us more aware of things like that or even more in depth training for SPL. I mean i dont know what other troops do but i and the plc run everything and the leaders run everything through us before anything is done. It was my goal when i started to bring them this far and i think that other troops should be able to get more in depth training for all topics.

It's great that you are looking for more!

Training of the troop leadership to perform their roles is the responsibility of the scoutmaster. In a troop being run the right way as you describe yours (with the scouts running the show), I'd bet a request for more training to your scoutmaster would get you great results. Have your PLC make up a specific list of the things you want to learn and present it to your SM. Between the troop committee and the PLC, I bet you could find experts in pretty much any area to come and present to your troop.

I'd also like to mention that a ton of 'training' is really happening on all your outings and at your meetings. It's just not specifically labeled as Training. When a more experienced scout takes the time to prepare and present a good demonstration on lashing, wood tools, first aid, or leading a meeting, then that is good training.

In our troop, scouts present a skills session at each troop meeting. The troop Instructor positions normally do this, but others with expertise also contribute.

Paul

It must be understood that the whole program is junior training. From the APL's,PL's ASPL and SPL, Troop guide, they are all on the job training and as you move from one to the other you gain knowledge and give knowledge...trained and training. In addition to the COUNCIL JLT we run a weekend in house JLT to work with our green bars. The SM works with the PLC in a year long monthly training on operational skills.

The troop through it's high adventure patrol activities and monthly training for each activities give Scouts on going skills classes.

Some of our older scouts take part in outdoor leader skills training offered by different outdoor centers (REI) but that is pricy

Sometimes, I think Scouts see how their leaders overextend themselves in training opportunities and then they hear all about the fun they had. They simply want to follow the example set for them.

Our Troop had a yearly SM lead JLT where we would take all of the leaders out to a camp and have high adventure activities, leader training, and then plan for the year. The remainder of the Troop would go and the Committee and the Dad's would help run the other activities.

We had a yearly District JLT. It was run by the Scouts from several troops.

The Council would also run a JLT. With all of the opportunities for Leader training and staffing the training, there wasn't much of the year left. I am including staff development time, which is important to meet the training goals.

There are also things for the Venture and the Varsity groups.

I realize the O.A. has its place in Scouting and it has training opportunities and things that are fun and exciting. I was active when I was a Scout, especially with the Indian Dance Team. There is a temptation to make it full time.

I like the idea of "working your (a) ticket", which means that you agree to take on several activities at some level of leadership and use your skills of leadership to accomplish the goals you set for yourself. This is applied leadership or using what you have learned in a structured way (* meaning you write it down on paper). This allows you to continue learning as you go along in Scouting. It is also fun.

I think that we miss out on using the older Scouts in the District as mentors to the younger leaders in a type of Coach Counselor role. I think that would be fun.

There needs to be a balance or you will lose contact with your unit. People rely on your presence/leadership and they miss you when you are gone. They also understand when you do move on. There are really too many things out there.

FB

At our roundtable last night our District Training Chair announced that there will be a new training opp for the youth in troop leadership positions modeled after the woodbadge course. I will post details as I get them. I sure do hope this goes nation wide.

Kristi

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING

***** YOUTH DO NOT READ ***** YOUTH DO NOT READ *****

The purpose of Scouting is to teach/develop leadership, physical and mental fitness, character and citizenship. Most youth (and unfortunately some adults)buy into the ruse that the purpose of Scouting is to teach them outdoor skills - cooking, camping, orienteering, pioneering, swimming, backpacking, first aid, etc. As stated by the Minnesota Scout - the SMs "job" is really not to teach these skills but to develop leadership in the boys. Holding, at a minimum, an annual JLT course is one of the ways he may do this. Another leadership course for youth is NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training).

On a related note, I'd like to ask all out there if your district either allows or encourages the youth leadership (SPL primarily) to attend the monthly roundtable. From what I've seen, most do not. However, I think it would be a great benefit for us (adult leaders) and the youth leaders (specifically the SPLs) to attend.

I remember when I was a scout, I often attended roundtables. Now, that was primarily because my dad was our SM and mom ws the Cub RT commissioner. But, I almost always went to the BS RT. I also remember other scouts there. In fact, I made some of my best scouting friends among that group of fell youth leaders in the area.

I've recently had similar thoughts and have thought about bringing it up to the other scouters.

The addition of SPL's to our R/T meetings has worked out well. Originally they were invited to help plan District Camporees and the quality of the Camporees along with the attendance went up. Now we hold a District SPL meeting and cover just about anything and everything.

On another note, I have never used the word purpose when it comes to Scouting. Are aims and purpose the same thing?

I have to admit to liking the Vision and Mission statement of the BSA a lot better.

Eamonn.