Robin Hood! All Camp or Wide Games ideas needed

We've begun work on our 2nd annual day camp. The name of our camp is Lockslea and we'll be able to offer archery, so we're toying with a Robin Hood theme.

I'm in need of a really fun involved all-camp activity/wide game - sortof along the "capture the flag" variety of activity. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Maid Marion of Mpls

You just have to have an open pit with a pig or goat on a spit and turkey legs and wings to be eaten with one hand

And a maypole with "Men Without Hats" singing "the safety dance" in the background

and have plenty of mead on hand (Iced tea with honey)

And you have, just have, to have a chorus line of the dads singing "men in tights" from Mel Brooks movie of the same name

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Very cool! Thanks for the tips!

I'm also looking for ways of presenting specific outdoor skills within the theme. For instance, just about any really cool lashing project would work well within the Robin Hood theme, from catapults to tree swings.

I can also see doing simple leather work to make pouches for carrying home loot (chocolate coins for prizes) and found treasures.

Any more ideas?

Please Please Please, catapult is such a pedestrian word, I am sure you meant trebuchet. Why not a station where you would make your own rope? From Flax or wool to string, to twine to rope to lashing? I already sorta mentioned the cooking without utensils, but something else on that line might be pretty good. As well as finding your way without a compass, over the grounds of your Faire, simple instructions such as go east 50 feet, north 30 feeet, southeast 10 feet something like that. If you have a waterfront, try "poling" a canoe, all with ye olde PFD of course. What about a chopping block where they can wield either a full length or 3/4 axe? Fire without matches is a natural as well

poling

Our Council used the Theme "Knights of the Round Table" one year. At the end of the week, all the scouts were "knighted". Each units leaders were asked for a knight name for each of their scouts near the end of the week. I tried to pick each boys strength that week and tied it into his name. The boys played marbles, chess, made donuts out of biscuits (watch out for peanut allergies!), we had archery, wall climbing, water sports, leatherwork and a "slay the dragon" obstacle course (knock down the dragon with a beanbag, shoot the dragon with a nerf-shooter... ok not so medieval

slay the dragon with a sword, and shoot the dragon with a water gun), and Koob (see getkoob.com, they even have a scouting section) to name a few.

This was a couple years ago, so if i think of anything else i'll come back.

Good luck!

Sparkie