I would just like some input on a situation our troop came up against.At the last merit badge fair after the days were over the counselors kept the boys blue cards and all the worksheets they worked on.After many many phone calls to the merit badge

coordinator with no response.We then tried calling the counselors themselves.Still no response.We sent our DC to the round table and the only info they would give us is what badges the boys took.they also told the DC that it wasn't the responsiblity of the people at the fair to get these badges passes just to introduce the boys to the badges.After about 6 months we called in local counselors to help get these badges for the boys.As I see it the boys had to earn the badges twice.I'm I the only one who thinks this is wrong?

No. Any blue cards and worksheets should have been returned to each scout at the end of the day, with the counselor initialing for any requirements that were completed. It would be up to the next counselor to determine if the scout needed to be retested on the previously signed off requirements and the worksheets could be important documentation for that. What a waste of a perfectly good blue card.

This is a case of the people planning and running the event doing a really poor job.

If it was really intended as just an introduction, then I don't really see the point in the event, and I don't think most Scouts or leaders would either. That is what makes me think that is just a bad excuse.

What should have happened is that these blue cards and other materials should have either been given to the Scouts that day, or they should have been given to a unit leader, also that same day.

It doesn't make sense to have blue cards and other documentation if you are not going to let the Scouts use them to pass the badge.

Proper Planning Prevents Pitifully Poor Program.

Someone needs to make a branding iron with 5 or 6 Ps on it and use it to stick that idea to people.

Every time I've seen counselors hold blue cards longer than the time required to annotate requirements and sign the other side, there's been problems. That includes summer camp, MB clinics, and normal Scout-counselor MB assignments.

Especially with partials, Scouts should hold their blue cards. When Scouts move, or counselors move/aren't available, or the unit needs to know which requirements aren't yet complete, the only way to avoid drama is if the Scout has his blue card(s).

This has been such a constant issue, everywhere I've been, I just don't understand why so many still do it...

KS