Jehovah witness and scouting

I don't want to offend anyone here but this came up at a recent meeting.

WE had a Scout who had missed several meetings. His patrol leader called to see if he needed a ride or if there was something else going on at the same time,etc.

the boy said that he could not be a Scout anymore because his family was Jehovahs witness and they did not believe in patroitism and the Pledge. Mind you this family have been in the Troop for several years and "just found this out." There is no way this kid is coming back but we are all just curious about if this is true about their beliefs. Any insights would help.

cheffy, I don't know much about the Jehovah Witness faith, but I did find the following on belief.net, which gives a synopsis of most faiths around the world:

"Service in the armed forces or any form of allegiance to government is prohibited"

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the info, that's kind of what I'm getting from the parents. The strange part is that they "discovered" that as JW they couldn't belong after they had been in the troop for 2 years and in Cubs for 3years. Go figure!

It's my understanding that their position on scouting has more to do with a prohibition on participating in secular activities. They are supposed to be seperate from "things of the world", so they don't participate in any school or social organizations.