When are adults required to register with BSA? To be considered a part of the BSA do they need to be registered?

What are the benefits to the adult to register? Who pays for it??

Thanks.

Registration is required when an adult desires to hold one of the unit positions listed in the instructions to the application. You can not hold any of these positions unless you are registered with the BSA.

Benefits of a registered adult. For the unit and the scouts, it means the adult has been screened and found acceptable by the unit to work with youth. For the registered adult, it means you can work with young people in one of the finest youth programs devised. You also will receive Scouting magazine, an excellent publication.

Who pays? That is up to the unit. In our troop, dues and fundraising pay for the annual scout and adult registrations. Some units may have the adult pay the registration fee in a more direct manner.

btps,

If the adult works with the unit on a regular basis, and is more than just an adult tagging along on camping trips, that adult should be registered.

Two things happen: first, the adult will be formally covered under BSA insurance, not only for injury protection but also for liability. Second, is that you gain a piece of mind. As Im sure you know, a background check is done on all new adult leaders.

Here is the other side of the story.....If you have an adult who has become a regular with your unit and does not embrace the idea of filling out the application, you might have a problem on your hands. Sure the odds of this are remote, but are you willing to take that chance?

Shucks, look at it this way ...you join so you can spend more money, be more frustrated, deal with more hardheaded folks like yourself...and help boys become men we can be proud of!

seriously, SP and foto gave you the basics...though fotoscout gets a little tence near the end...and troops/packs handle costs in different ways, for example:

Our Troop requires leaders to pay their own fees, ( for me beats on more fund raiser)...the pack (I am an ACM, too) pays for leaders...a duel registration...ie after a first costs 1 yankee dollar, so...I pay the $20.00+ for my troop membership and the pack pays a dollar...see I told you it gives you a chance to spend more money...

In our troop we actively encourage all families to provide one active registered leader...ASM or CM, and with 60 boys we have about 18-20 REALLY active SM corp/CM corp types, another 10 registered fairly active CM types and 5 or 6 others we can drag into the wood if we really need them...

NOTE that as a troop, we let the 'potential' parents know before cross-over what we hope for (expect?)from them...(BSA... is not Baby Sitters of America) And we do it rather strongly, (in talks, presentations and handouts) We also let them know we train...so they can get 'inhouse' outdoor leader skills training (we have 6 eagles and 5 life for life types in the 18 I noted above) that we can get them equipment to use AND WE LET THE NON SCOUT-NON OUTDOORS TYPES KNOW THERE ARE JOBS THEY CAN HELP WITH in other areas...you don't need scouting experience...just a desire to help kids!

AND IT WORKS!

now heck don't you think now that a little frustration is worth $20.00 a year???

YIS

anarchist!

In our council multiple registrations dont cost anything, the only $1 fee I have heard of is for transferring a registration to a new unit.

The other reason to register adults, if not a parent or legal guardian of a youth on that outing, a adult must be registered to participate.

NWScouter,

In your last post you state that in order for a non parent to go on an outing, they must be registered. While registration is certainly a good idea, I don't see that as a requirement anywhere. Is that a local or unit policy by chance?