I was reading through some old threads and wanted to post in regards to alcohol and scout activities. Last year was my first year and I am married to a truck driver. We were at the "field of dreams" for our scout pack on the 4th of July at the local baseball stadium. The scouts went on the field with the players for the national anthem and then we all sat down to enjoy the game. Imagine my shock at seeing my husband sitting there in the stands with a beer. I pulled him to the side and told him I thought that was a no-no in front of scouts and sent him to the concession area to finish it. (just couldn't make him pour it out ;) ) In a situation like this at a public stadium during a game while others are drinking was I in the wrong? Our CM didn't say anything about the situation or how I handled it.

Input?

Kristi

You were right. This was a pack event and the scouts do not need to see their leaders (or those associated with their leaders) drinking. While they may be surrounded by many other adults drinking beer at the game, it is not appropriate for those closest to the scouts (i.e., leaders) to model this behavior.

Your asking him to finish it in a discreet place was the best decision...afterall, a scout is thrifty.

(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

You were ABSOLUTELY right for what you did! We try to teach these boys to say no to drugs and alchohol and this type of display would send a wrong message to the boys.

In another pack where I was an ADL we were on a pack/family campout and the DL that I was assistant to was going thru tough times with his job. We were all sitting by the campfire when all of a sudden we saw him (he should have known better) and his wife crack open a couple of bottles right there. We immediately and discreetly took them to the side and asked them to take the bottles and any others from the property and return or if they had a problem with that then take them and not return. Of course they understood, but what got me was this was a "trained" leader and he should have known better than to even bring them, much less open one in front of everyone.

So in short, according to BSA there will be no alchohol at a scout function. PERIOD

A second point is that it's not just the problem of the impression we make on our swcouts, the public is watching us too! With all the bad press they try to pin on us do we want to be seen on an outing with a beer in hand?

Good to see that I did ok with that. The post I spun this from talked about having beer on campouts and keeping it put up till the boys were in tents. In my opinion if you are keeping it put up till the boys are in tents then you know good and well it shouldn't be there.

Kristi

(my husband was not in a uniform and has no part in scout leadership, I sent him away anyway as he was sitting with us)