scoutstuff.org updated-2005

• 1 month later...

Online ordering is coming. Should roll out this summer. Advancement materials will still have to be purchased at your local scout shop. All other national items (scout stuff catalog) will be available. Local councils will have some options regarding selling additional items. I don't know all the details. The site will be branded for each council, and they will get a percentage of the sales.

The new on-line Internet sale of merchandise from the Supply Division is expected to be rolled out in June of this year. The council merchandise portion is expected in July.

Benefits to Councils

Council Service - Extending online shopping to a council's customers becomes another example of a council's service to its membership.

Council Identity - Your council's masthead (logo) is displayed throughout the online site when a customer enters through that council's Web site.

Council Merchandise - Display and sell council-specific merchandise to your customers from the same site, with inventory control, billing, and shipping information coordinated and forwarded to the council for processing.

Investment - No investment in Supply Division inventory is required by the council for online shopping through the general e-commerce Web site; however, a return of 3 percent of net sales is realized.

Easy to Initiate - A link from a council's Web site will take its customer to the council's online store.

I think this is a smart move by National. Ordering by phone is an option, but I like to see the merchandise when I'm placing my order. This is a national trend in commerce that the Boy Scouts should not ignore if they want to stay in the market place.

On another note, the University Of Dallas, Graduate School Of Management is in the process of conducting a web site survey of council webmasters. Part of this survey includes recommendations for improving the National Council web site. If there is enough support from this survey we may see some significant changes to what the National Council makes available on their web site. Keep your fingers crossed!

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick