Could someone correct me if I am wrong, but won't the BSA be losing one of the Community Organization Awards in 2005 since the DOD will no longer have 25 Scouting units?

Obviously the criteria could be changed, but if it isn't, it looks like the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal will no longer be able to be a BSA Community Organization Award. Though the DOD could still continue awarding it for volunteer service to Scouting.

It was never a BSA award, but an award for volunteer service by the military for service members. They award it for all kinds of volunteer service.

The BSA knot is for many different awards given by organizations such as American Legion and others.(This message has been edited by NWScouter)

I'll admit I'm not familiar with the award, but if the award is given for "volunteer service by the military for service members." as NWscouter says I don't see how the change in status of DOD units would effect the award. In fact, one of the issues with the DOD acting as a charter organization was the claim that some commanding officers were ordering subordinates to support or participate in scouting activities. This would hardly be "volunteer" service in such cases.

SA

The Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal is awarded by the DOD.

When it is awarded for service to or in Scouting, it can qualify as a BSA Community Organization Award.

In those cases, the BSA allows the recipients to wear the COA knot, since the award is officially recognized by BSA.

One of the requirements for the BSA to recognize any COA is for that organization to charter at least 25 Scouting units.

The national relationships division handles all of this working with the various national charter organizations. Currently there are only like seven or so nationally recognized COAs.

In any case, I don't want the award to lose its current status as a BSA COA, but it looks like it will unless the BSA policy on COAs is changed.