Got a good argument for Boy's Life Magazine??

I've recently left my Pack Committee to join the troop side of things. (as many of you have.) Stressing to the people remaining that the budget is important, and to stay on top of it. We have 70 cubbies, and $6000 budget. We sell about $13,000 of popcorn each year. (Not bragging; just relating the importance of financial mgmt, and budgeting.)

The first thing they discuss in my abscence in doing away with Boy's Life! (saving them $756) We don't charge families for the magazine. They either sell $100 worth of popcorn, or take the 'buy-out' at $45.

But EVERY household get's Boy's Life.

My kids read it; even if just for comics, or video-game reviews. I hope the read the 'Scouts in Action' section too. But they say their kids don't. "It's a waste of money". How do I convince them otherwise?

Any good arguments FOR Boy's Life, would be appreciated.

While I think every scouting household should get Boy's Life...it sounds like the new leadership wants to make it optional for those who want to pay for it. Plenty of other packs do that, why fight them on this issue after you have moved on?

Now arguments for Boys Life?

1. Use it in your program. Have a pack joke contest and send the entries into the magazine to see who gets published. Have a pack phot contest - do same for the annual BL photo spread.

2. You never know when you might see your face in it (coverage of cuborees, etc.) Better yet, call them up and see if they may have an interest in featuring one of your spectacular pack events. If you don't subscribe, you can never buy it on a newstand.

3. It is so cheap. If you don't read it you can at least use it for toilet paper on the next pack family camping trip.

4. Investment - have you seen the prices of 50-year old issues on ebay lately?

We leave it up to the families as the families pay for it if they opt to subscribe. I have encouraged subscribing to it, but I am the only leader who is in favor of it. Therefore, we have few subscribing. Why subscribe? It is age-appropriate, designed specifically for boys, and without any objectionable content (though I wouldn't mind fewer electronic game ads but my son loves them :)). In reading through other magazines, I can't say the same things. As a parent, I feel confident that this magazine is a "safe" read for the boys. They each like something different: one likes the comics, jokes, and the Scouts in Action. The other likes the articles, always finding something new and interesting to talk about. It adds a dimension to Scouting too by showing what other Scouts do, by showing that Scouting is not just a local thing.

Scouts who receive Boy's Life stay in the program longer than Scouts who do not receive the magazine. I don't have statistics to prove it, but it makes sense to me? Why? Because a kid who gets Boy's Life magazine, even if he doesn't open the cover, gets a monthly reminder that he's a Scout. Even if your pack isn't meeting in the summer, or he hasn't been to a pack meeting for a while, something about getting mail in his own name helps keep them in Scouting.

If he does read it, and the parents encourage him to read it (which really isn't all that tough to do) he'll perhaps start a new hobby, get a modeling tip, learn a Bible lesson from the Old Testament, or just get a laugh at old PeeWee.

If his paren'ts are smart, they'll look for the page that says which article helps with which requirement and use it to help their son advance.

From the financial side, what does the pack intend to do with the $800 bucks they'll save? Will it increase retention and advancement with the same bang for the buck? Seems to me that would be a tough case to make. The pack is paying $9.00 a year, which is half of the subcription rate of $18.00. Sounds like bang for the buck to me.

The best example I've ever seen of a visual to demonstrate the sheer financial value of Boy's Life was this:

Someone took a comic book (I'm not sure what the current price of a comic book is, but it's more than Boy's Life issue per issue) and taped each page together end to end. He rolled out the comic book and the length was impressive.

Then he did the same thing with a copy of Boy's Life. Boy's Life was roughly three times longer, half the price, and actually had pictures and articles that will help the child develop in a fun and simple format.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Unc.

I love Boys Life. I just wish they had a magazine for Venture that would appeal to both older boys and girls, something like "Venture Life". If national started it I am sure Venture leaders and teens would love to contribute articles, myself included. Anyhow we need to keep Boy's Life around, it's a great magazine. I agree it helps to enhance the scouting experience for the youth.

When I took over as Scoutmaster I told the Troop Committee that we would be a 100% Boys Life unit. At first the Scouts would ask me why they had to take it. Then I started a quiz contest at every COH with a prize to the winner. Then they started reading it. Now the PLC uses it to help plan the year. Do the parents think it's a good investment. I've had no one complain in the last 7 years. The committee would be doing a diservice to the Scouts if they think $800.00 isn't worth it.

Dancin

We don't have an argument. It's included in their annual recharter fee and is not optional. Our troop has been chartered for 12 years and has been 100% BL every year. Never had anyone object.

I read once that there are several versions of BL, based on age. The Tiger Cub will get a different version than the Venturer will.

My older brother had a subscription and I couldn't wait to get my own BL and join Scouts. As an adult, I continued with my subscription and I also began collecting them. (Note-my first collection was a Wolf project, rocks in an egg container. So I blame my Den Mother, Mrs. C. for this activity.) My BL collection has lead me into many interesting adventures, to be recounted another time. I love to look at the old issues and copy advice and how-to's out of them. There are stories and all kinds of fun and exciting things in BL, even today! I also collect Pedro things, you know, the Corny Donkey. I am kind of amazed that Scouting has done this to me. Would I ask someone else to have this much and this kind of fun? Sure.

The question of worth can now be addressed. Yes it is. (Reason, you forgot the reason.) Oh yea, it is fun, great fun.

Merry Christmas

FB

If the unit policy is to include Boy's Life for everyone that raises funds, I would say you really shouldn't be changing the policy after the fundraiser is done. Thats sort of like saying go out and do this and I will give you this thing over here, and then not giving the person that thing after they go and do what you ask them to.

It just isn't a very good way of doing business.

Also, I would be willing to bet more of the kids read the thing than the leaders know.

Finally, what else are they going to use that $700 for? Is it really needed for something else? Or do they just want to give the pinewood derby winner a 3 foot trophy this year instead of the 18" one like they used last year?