Kevin Greene, Carolina Panthers, LB...

From Scouting Magazine:

Football stars support Scouting

At the Del-Mar-Va Council's Sports Spectacular last June, Eagle Scout Aubria R. S. Black, Troop 47, Wilmington, Del., posed with (from left) Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison and retired NFL stars Tony Dorsett, Franco Harris, and Kevin Greene. At the eventwhich raised more than $40,000 for ScoutingGreene, a former Carolina Panthers linebacker and an Eagle Scout, urged Scouts to continue to be involvedthat it's possible to be active in Scouting and also pursue athletic interests.

Suffolk County Council, BSA

... Eagle Scout, retired NY Giant Football player, and CBS Football Broadcaster Beasley

Reese engages in conversation with Yogi Berra, huge supporter of scouting ...

www.sccbsa.org/Yogi.html - 3k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

I googled up the following...

http://teacher.scholastic.com/researchtools/articlearchives/civics/presid/focus/prchford.htm

Question: How did you feel when you received offers to play professional football and why did you turn down the offers? -- Mrs. Hargrove's 6th Grade, Canby Lane School, Decatur, GA.

President Ford: Quite frankly, I was overwhelmed to receive two offers to play professional football from the Detroit Lions and the Greenbay Packers. I was tempted because it was during the Depression when there weren't very many jobs available for a college graduate. The nation was faced with 25% unemployment. Fortunately, I was offered a job as Assistant Football Coach at Yale University for a salary of $2,400 a year. I thought this was a better opportunity, though less money, than playing Pro football, because I would also have the opportunity to attend Yale University Law School.

As I look back, I made the right decision, although on occasion it would have been nice to have played one year in the NFL. I think this illustrates that you have to make tough choices. I'm glad that it worked out the way it did.