Internet Rechartering -- anyone done this yet? Any tips?

I just got the unit ID number today, and I've gone through the tutorial (quickly, just to get an idea of what's involved), and this doesn't look too challenging. The hardest part for me is getting started, and I'm slightly confused on that. Do we simply download the council info, or do we need to wait for the printed release? I've been given some info, but in fairness, I missed training, and not one other person was able to go. TIA.

Don't sweat it. It's easier than you think. Just carefully review your youth and adult members. I would be glad to help. The site is set up so that you get many opportunities to review and verify your roster. It takes a lot of going back and forth but spend a few minutes getting familiar with the site. The hardest part is making sure your Boy's Life subscription jives with your roster.

Ken

Duh! I need to read things closer. Yes, Just download the council's charter and compare to your roster of paid members. You can add or delete members. I think you delete folks first and then a given an opportunity to add members later. Carefull, once you have deleted someone you will have to add all of their info if wish to reinstate them.

When addind adults you will have to have their application in front of you. The system requires adult SSN's

Ken

Thank you both! Glad to hear it truly is that easy. I have until early February to turn in the recharter, but last year the hard part was gathering signatures, so I want to know what I'm dealing with this time around.

We are just finishing up rechartering in our council with many units doing it by the internet. The only problem that I have seen is once you submit you can not change anything. The only one who can make those changes is the council registrar. Of course, as in all the years Ive done rechartering, the best indicator of success is preparation. If you have the information that is needed for your youth and adults, have submitted applications on time, and collected the money, it tends to go smooth.

Spiney - It's a council based policy. Some councils establish a date for all units, while others have units rechartering throughout the year. The majority of our council's units recharter on February 1. They're trying to get everyone there, but some units don't want to change. Feb 1 works pretty well because it's after the end-of-year schedules and it lines up pretty close to crossover. But you could make arguments for doing it at several different times of the year.

The only copy of the adult application that should have a SSN on it should have gone to the council. The unit should not have a copy with the SSN on it.

So who do we need to go beat with a stick for requiring you to enter information you aren't supposed to have?

Our council used to have almost everyone recharter within about a month of each other. That worked horribly.

The back log of recharter stuff would take the registrar at least six months to process. Therefore, we wouldn't recieve the new charter and new membership cards until they were already half expired.

This happened every year.

Now they are trying to get each district on the same month, but with each district doing it at a different time than the others. Hopefully this works better. We shall see.

Regarding the SSN #'s. The only point that you need it is when adding new adult leaders. If you don't have them it will not let you add an adult. Once you input the info on the web site it does not display them.

I would think that one could always turn in the app's after rechartering and place the onus on the council for entering them.

We are required to send signed, completed apps in for any new adult or change in position for an adult with the recharter. Therefore, even though this is internet rechartering, we still have paperwork to have completed, signed, and turned in along with it.

So, for those who are not new adults, are we required to have SSNs? If so, I can get these from each leader prior to renewal.

As for timing, we recharter in February, but that is because our districts are staggered due to the large size of the council. The only thing I don't care for about this is that our recharter time is different from that of the program year which and that effects the budget, making the budget confusing to many.