COs - Who Are They and How Do They Rate

Scouting seems to have a wide disparity in CO involvement.

Out of curiosity and to maybe ascertain some trends...

Who is your Chartered Organization and how do you rate them (scale of 1 -10, 10 being the best) as far as their involvement/support of your scouting program?

Our CO is a rather large Catholic Church (2,000+ congregation). I would rate them a 9.0 - the priests and staff offer encouragement, we are provided a more than large enough meeting facility, the congregation and related Knights Council strongly support our fundraising efforts, the COR is a big supporter and has boys in the program. There have been some issues over time/space conflicts resulting in Friday night Pack meetings and Sunday night Troop meetings (not our first choice but they are working out just fine) and a couple of other minor things, but overall it has been a win-win relationship.

Pack - Elementary School (actually the pricipal)

a good guy but only supplies meeting space and signs paperwork...PTA used to do it but stopped...

Score- 2

Troop - United Methodist Church - In name only- they talk a good game- then complain about the boys leaving marks on the floor (shoe scuffs),not putting back kiddie chairs in the exactly right space, leaving lights on (when several other groups use the facility), give us no support, refused to 'title' our trailer-didn't want liablity and then moved a rent paying daycare operation into the rooms we used, filled them with toys and kiddie furniture and still can't understand why we are looking for a new CO...

score- negative 3

The Township. Do not tell Meryln!

rate them a 1.

They could not even tell you where the troop mets at. The CO does not have a clue who the leaders are, that they have approved.

Seems like the ratings here, are based on different ideas of what a CO should do.

A small, struggling UMC church. I rate them a 1 as far as doing what a CO is supposed to do, however that's fine with us since we get zero interference. They gave us a key to the portable classroom in the back, and if we're lucky, they don't schedule other groups to use it on Monday nights. We're not always lucky. We see the COR only when we need a signature. At our monthly district meetings, only one COR attends out of a district of almost 100 units.

A few years back I was active in a unit. Our CO was a Catholic Church.

The Parish Priest was not pro Scouting and the pack had been very poorly managed. The Cubmaster had been very much a one woman show. There was no real committee, meetings were held as and when she felt like having one and were mainly leaders meetings. The COR was active in the church with the church youth group and was the Webelos Scout Den Leader, he didn't seem to have any idea what the job was. He didn't like the Priest, mainly because the priest didn't have any time for the youth group. Things were a real mess. The Church did provide the meeting hall for the pack meetings.

We started trying to get things on track. The pack kinda bypassed the Priest and worked through the parish council. We planted flowers outside the church, gave the food collected from Scouting for food to the parish food bank. We pushed the priest into allowing the pack to stage a really good Scout Sunday service and hold bake sales and sell popcorn after Mass.

The COR stayed on, even though his son didn't cross over into a troop. I think that he liked the "New Order." and seen the renewed enthusiasm's that the Leaders and the new committee had, he got caught up in it all. The Priest never did get the bug. He never ever made it to a B&G. He did work with some of the Lads and their religious awards. But we never ever got the $20.00 out of him for rechartering.

There is a new priest there now who is very pro Scouting, there is now a troop and a new Crew.

Looking at the CO's that we have in the District there is of course the good, the bad and the ugly. I don't think that it is an accident that the better units are the ones with active relationships with the CO's.

As a District we have really tried to involve the COR's.It seems to be a real hard uphill battle.

We are also trying to educate our unit Scouter's that there are a lot of things that come up that need to be settled "In House", things like conflicts between leaders and misunderstandings about what the CO will or will not do. These need to be looked after by the unit committee with the COR and there may be times when the CO will need to step in. There are things that only they can do.

While things are much better with the new Priest (Maybe 9 +) During my time I would say we started at 2.5 and ended with 7.5

Eamonn

Holy Name Society, a Catholic men's organization in our Parish.

Many of the scout dad's are members. Actually dad's are encouraged to join to support the HNS because they support scouts (both BSA & GSUSA) and sports in the parish school.

They support us financialy, do not intrude in the day to day running of the Pack or Troop, but are there when we need them. They do not actually provide our meeting space as we meet in the parish school. The church and school are both very supportive also. It's kind of a package deal with Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts all considered "school" organizations. Probably because even though there are high school aged, public school and non-catholic youth involved, the majority are students at the parish school.

I would have to give them a solid 10.

Our CO - Cloverdale United Methodist Church

They let us use a decent amount of space, for our regular meetings and Court of Honors. The congregation really does nothing. We raised a grand total of 20 dollars for an Eagle project, and working on THEIR courtyard, no less. The pastor is basically the same; I've never seen anyone fromthe church at a meeting. 3/10