Answer to Judo / Karate Question

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. For safety at tournaments, we don't allow choking (for certain ages), or we stop the action once the choke is applied, and we drill people about tapping out early in their training. Even in the full contact MMA events, people often lose by a choke submission, but it's very uncommon they get completely "choked out" unconscious.

On the "street", striking people is easier and sometimes safer (for the defender), you can do it from farther away. However, if I am forced to strike someone, I'm going to do it such that it hurts and quite possibly inflicts serious damage. If it's possible to get some form of restraint (joint lock or choke), without myself getting hurt in the process, then it's usually better for both parties. Properly applied, a good blood choke, like a rear naked choke, only takes about 2 seconds to work. Air chokes take a bit longer.

I'd love to see the BSA allow and even encourage martial arts participation in Sports Merit badges and other things. As a country we are raising a group of sterilized, feminized boys. Heroes like Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and the Lone Ranger don't exist anymore (since they took Walker, Texas Ranger off the air). Boys only have Ryan Seacrest, the Biggest Loser, Dancing Celebrities, 90210 and overpaid whiney sports stars to look up to. Scouting helps, what we need is to get the boys on the mats too.

I actually did bring in kenpo karate instructor to one of our pack meetings. I had the blessing of the DE with the understanding it was to be used in a self defense/seperate yourself from the potential attacker, kind of instruction. It was an interactive program where the activity was 90% physical workout and 10% on how to release from being grabbed. We also used bags on blocking punches. Nothing to attack.

It may be incorrect from national BSA, but the kids loved it and the parents requested it to be offered it to the siblings. It has been on the program every year since.