Discipline/Mentoring and Scout Spirit

Handle through the Scoutmaster Conference process. Scoutmaster conferences need not be held only at the time of rank advancement. I think the first step is for the SM to identify the issues (why the scout is 'lacking' spirit) and go from there, in a gentle yet firm manner.

Any specifics you want to share?

Thanks again for the insight, Semper...

Without going into much detail, let's just say that there's one Star Scout in particular, a scholastically-gifted young man at that, who consistently rocks the boat with his raucous behavior, foul mouth, and general disdain for the adult leadership. His parents don't understand why he's not advancing.

How about doing a Scoutmaster Conference with the scout, or even Board of Review (they don't have to be for advancement you know) with the scout and lay out expected behavior. Have the members of the board cite specific incidents where the scouts behavior was lacking and how it should change. Then present the scout with a letter explaining all that is expected of him and list behavior which will generate a call to the parents to come get him whether at a meeting or an event. Have the scout sign it and give him a copy. You may wish to share it with his parents or not depending on which approach would be best. Then implement the plan, the scout will know what to expect when his behavior is untoward and so will his parents.

My friends:

I was going to start this post with "No, no, no, no, you've got it backward . . . "

However, I've had a change of heart and will take a different tack.

When I was a newbie Scoutmaster of a small troop, I had similar problems with a Star Scout of high intelligence, etc. No matter what discipline, SM conference tactics I took, or whatever, it didn't work. The boy seemed to exist with the mission of foiling my attempts to turn him into a Scout.

I finally wised up and asked my Eagle Scout SPL to talk to him. I don't know what was said between the two youth and I probably don't want to know . . . but it sure worked.

There's a reason for youth leadership.

Food for thought.

Unc.

Touche! Yes, our current ASPL kind of acts as our 'Sargeant at Arms' so to speak. It is just his personality.

As for the SM conference, as the Scout in question if he feels he is living up to the SO and SL. His response may surprise you.

Some SM's face a similar problem and it usually is with Scouts that the SM hasn't "raised". Several years ago, I took over as SM of an established Troop. The last SM left me with a few Scouts that were decidedly going to continue doing things as in the past instead of abiding by a few rules that I felt to be important. I didn't see it coming and of course reacted like an idiot. Some of the parents that had been with me for a while took me aside and guided me back to sanity. They also helped the Scout and they did a wonderful job.

Here is what I learned. Scouts that I had raised knew that we agreed that this is a program that you voluntarily decide to abide by the Scout Oath and Law. We had gone over the meanings of the Oath and Law point by point and Scout by Scout over a long period of time. Most of these Scouts had parents that had slowly become part of the program and they also bought into it. So when we had trouble, the sane ones helped the crazy ones back to normalcy.

As the Troop grew, so did the parent support base and so did the expectations of the Scouts in the program. We all agreed and understood that it was the Scout Oath and Law that came first. When a problem occurred, I expected the Scouts themselves to help each other with finding the right direction and if they didn't, then the committee or their trusty old SM would show them the right way.

My job became just that, orienting new Scouts and parents to the Scout Oath and Law (and doing it over many more times with some). The older Scouts ran the Troop with gentle guidance of the ASM's and with the support of a great committee. And yes, we had PLC's and calendars and planning and all of the rest. Handling problems became easier because of the basic direction we all had agreed on from the beginning. Now did the Scouts continue having problems, sure. Did I still have problems, sure but the group and our direction was always the foundation that supported each other and that gave us strength.

FB

The fuzzy one is wise. If it takes a village to raise a child then it takes a whole troop to raise a scout. Other scouts, SMs, parents, committee members all could and should play a vital role in helping this scout mature. Shower him with love and the attention he is craving.

This has been discussed in the past. The following thread was started by me about a year ago. I was at my wits in with this lad.

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=46779

Today, he's a PL and on his way to Star. He's doing pretty good, although I have to reel him in every once in a while. I'd say we have a "bad moment" about one or twice a month. But, that's a whole lot better than once or twice a meeting. I continue to coach him. Others in the troop have noticed the difference, I hope that is the case away from scouting as well.

1. Does the person know what the rules are/ what is expected behavior? You can't assume they do. You know what the word assume means?

2. Probably a good idea to refresh entire group. SM minute at end of meeting. Lay out your expectations. What is correct behavior.

3. Talk with PL/ASPL/SPL have them enforce the expectation

4. When they are unsuccessful, then the SM should get involved. You really should give the boy leaders an opportunity to establish leadership. COntrol their group. SM should only step in when that isn't working.

5. SM conference unsuccessful. Time to bring parents into discussion. Possible at a BOR.