Proof of earned awards.

As a youth (many years ago) I earned a couple of awards that can be worn on the adult uniform as knots. However, I have since lost the actual awards and the council can not find the records from them. IIRC, my scoutmasters were a little lax in sending the proper paperwork to the council office.

My question is, how can I prove that I earned the awards and get the knots? I am still in the same council today as I was as a youth. They may take my word for it, but I would prefer to have some type of proof.

Any suggestions?

If it's the AoL and/or a religious award, I would hope that no one would have any problem with an adult leader wearing the knots without producing the paperwork. After all, we are Trustworthy, right? This is a very common situation, I believe.

The other youth awards that can be worn on the adult uniform as knots are the Eagle and the various heroism awards ( I don't think there are any others?) and National should have records for those.

Also, lost OA records are addressed as a FAQ on the National OA website.

OXCOPS

Trevorum is correct, for the religious knot and AoL knot most scout shops will take you at your word and allow you to buy the knots. In fact I have never been questioned when purchasing advancement awards for either my uniform or my Venture youth.

Since religious awards are not BSA awards, councils have never requested proof for purchase of the knot. They also do not keep records on who has earned which religious emblem.

The only place that you might be able to find a record is with the religious organization you earned it from. I know that for the Catholic awards, in the Chicago Archdiocese, the CYO keeps the sheets that have been signed by the parish representative. You can get replacement medals by giving them the youth's name and approx date earned and they will check their records to verify. I don't know how long they hold on to these records, but I did request a replacement award that was earned 8 years before for one of my 12th grade Senior Girl Scouts.

I received the Pope Pious back in 1979 (I think), also in the Chicago Archdiocese. While I do have the medal, I have no paperwork to back it up. Anyway, I just bought a new uniform, so I went to buy the patches for it recently at the Scout shop. The purple knots were there to buy, nobody ever asked to see anything. So I believe many of the knots are on the honor system, as they are NOT the award themselves, they just represent the award. To actually get the medal, you will have a tougher road.

Also, the experience of earning the emblem was pretty special, and I still remember the counselors name. As it turns out, he is still doing the counselor work today, all these years later, in Calumet City, IL. If I needed, I would ask him for documentation. But I don't think I will worry about it.

I also received the Bronze Bighorn award (Explorers), but have no paperwork for that either. I will be trying to get that from the Calumet Council.