1960s Cub Scout Timeline Help

Yes... Wolf book would be the circa 1969 printing. 

I looked at the photos again... 

Where I thought there was rank insignia: I do not see a pocket flap which should be above any rank patch. Thus not reasonably sure what it could be.

In the one with your Mom there is a spot that could be a Bobcat pin OR a shiny button.

48 minutes ago, Wëlënakwsu said:

Yes... Wolf book would be the circa 1969 printing. 

I looked at the photos again... 

Where I thought there was rank insignia: I do not see a pocket flap which should be above any rank patch. Thus not reasonably sure what it could be.

In the one with your Mom there is a spot that could be a Bobcat pin OR a shiny button.

But the middle photo does have the top part of the red Wolf diamond patch.

Just my view but the middle picture looks like an older version of the other 2 pictures. Less cheeks! More chin. Just a hunch but the first and last photos are when you started, or maybe the first 2 years and the middle photo is when you were in a couple of years older. Looks to me like a webelos aged scout, neckerchief or not.

7 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

11 Would be a Boy Scout in 1972, not a Cub Scout of any type. 3rd Grade at that time would be Wolf

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking I joined as a Wolf in third grade (8 yrs old) and then that photo was "printed: out three years later in 1972 when I was actually 11 yrs old.

OK, I believe I can conclude that Feb 1969, I turned 8 yrs old. Graduated 2nd grad in May 1969.

I would have started 3rd grade Sept 1969.

Feb 1970, I turned 9 yrs old. Graduated 3 grade in May of 1970

So the magic year for my entrance as a Wolf as shown in my photos would have been 1969.

If I enter into the Scouts at 11 yrs old, it would be the Boys Scouts NOT the Cub scouts. What happens if I joined Cub Scouts at 8 yrs old, but did obtain my Wolf or Bear requirements until 11 yrs old, would I still be considered a Wolf or Bear since I was "working" on my advancements? If you don't get your requirements in by the time you're 11, do they automatically remove you from the Cub Scouts even though you're still working on advancements? I'm thinking all these age & grade requirements are for those you are "entering" into the Scouts.

18 hours ago, Chgodon said:

o far, I've studied everybody's replies and done more research online. So here is what I've put together so far as a timeline. It appears that my uniform has defiantly been confirmed to be a Wolf (yellow neckerchief). So I decided to join the Cub Scouts in 2nd grade (1968 to 1969) in order to start out as a Wolf. Unfortunately, the above 2 individual shots of me are not date stamped. The one with my mother is date stamped 1972. I noticed I did not have the red Wolf rank patch on my uniform in that photo. Either it wasn't sewn on or it took me from 1969 to 1972 to earn that red Wolf patch as shown in the middle photo. Wow, it took  3 years to complete my Wolf rank. Seems like a long time? I guess I never completed the Bear rank as I do not have any photos of the Bear rank patch on my uniform. 

As I stated above, all ranks wore the same yellow necker, and dens were not separated by rank and ranks were not separated by grade level.  You would have also had a Bobcat pin, which was pretty much automatic, and not considered a "rank".  I never got Wolf, since I started at age 9, so my uniform just had a Bear and Lion patch.  Got our AOL patch upon crossover to a troop at age 11 and there was no Webelos "rank" or patch. Webelos was generally a 1 year program, not 2.  I don't even recall wearing a plaid Webs necker, but my sons did.  No "colors" or activity pins back then, either.

1 hour ago, scoutldr said:

I don't even recall wearing a plaid Webs necker, but my sons did.  No "colors" or activity pins back then, either.

Before the Webelos Rank, It was Lions, and the AOL Award was originally called the WeBeLoS award. I think the term "Webelos, Rank," plaid necker, and tricolors started in 1972. My brothers were Cubs in that time period, and I wore some of their stuff. A lot of changes occured in 1972, some good, some I would care to forget.