Shoulder Loops

Hello, I am staffing a very well known council camp in Southern California. Would it be appropriate to wear silver shoulder loops because I am registered with the council as a volunteer employee?

29 minutes ago, jscouter1 said:

Would it be appropriate to wear silver shoulder loops because I am registered with the council as a volunteer employee?

It would best to ask your camp what they want from a uniform uniform policy. Some councils want to emphasize that their staff is made up of unit scouts / scouters, so then no. 

I’d say sure, but you would need to remove your unit numbers and position patch. I’d then get a camp staff position patch. 

More often than not, I've seen camp staffers wear silver shoulder loops; however, I've also been part of a camp staff that elected to wear green tabs to promote Venturing because we were all registered members of the same Crew. Personally, I lean toward silver because it helps distinguish staff from unit scouters (so people know where to direct their questions). Ultimately, you'll want to clarify with the Camp Director or another senior staffer to determine what's most appropriate. Have fun out there!

6 hours ago, BetterWithCheddar said:

I've also been part of a camp staff that elected to wear green tabs to promote Venturing because we were all registered members of the same Crew.

This is no longer an acceptable Venturing uniform (tan with venturing green loops). You’d all have to wear the green venturing shirts. 

Every camp does different things. I know some camps want u with at least one uniform shirt, usually Venturing, that has the silver loops, council CSP, and Camp Staff patch. Others want u in at least one Venturing uniform with green loops, CSP, crew #, and pot patch, usually camp staff, but I have seen a few custom patches with camp staff director. Other camps just want u in a uniform. 

an aside. This brings back memories of one getting hold of a uniform for our camp chaplain. Long story short, I picked up his uniform to bring to him at camp, and discovered not only was he an Eagle Scout, but also earned the Heroism Award. First person I ever met with it.

• Upvote 1

Our Council charters a Venturing Crew and each camp staff member is dual registered in the Crew.  The Crew number is the Council number.  They wear the Venturing Uniform with silver loops.  Also helps pad the membership numbers. ;)  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, scoutldr said:

Our Council charters a Venturing Crew and each camp staff member is dual registered in the Crew.  The Crew number is the Council number.  They wear the Venturing Uniform with silver loops.  Also helps pad the membership numbers. ;)  

Those green shirts really pop in a sea full of khaki. It's a nice way to differentiate the staff from the campers ~ especially on a check-in or check-out day.

One item on my dream retirement list (I'm still ~20 years out) is to provide in-kind uniform supplies to the staff at my favorite council camp ~ the one where I worked as a teen and where my Cub-age son will hopefully attend. It'd be neat to provide them with uniform shirts that were truly uniform (just a CSP and camp patch), plus a staff sweatshirt or pullover. I'm sure my folks spent over $300 to outfit me for my first year on camp staff and that was ~25 years ago.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, scoutldr said:

Sometimes summer camp staff are not registered anywhere until they join staff. The camp chaplain whose uniform items i had to pick up from the scout shop and bring to him at camp, was not registered anywhere else except the the summer camp post/crew. Ditto for the Marines and Sailors who had TDY assignments to summer camp staff. And sometimes Staff are not even from the council the camp is in.

Edited by Eagle94-A1