2023-2024 fees? Any rumors?

"A background check and insurance can't possibly cost $60."

https://blog.verifirst.com/blog/bid/305407/cost-of-a-background-check-how-much-should-you-pay

Add the cost of fingerprinting in many cases, anywhere from fifty plus dollars from what I have seen.  Locally for the minimum it approaches one hundred dollars.  

Juat saying: a background without a complete search is not what they need, especially today.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll reserve judgment until I read their plan for implementation. There is a chance (albeit a very slight one, IMHO) that national may have an elegant solution. I know, I know... I'm laughin

This is going to be a CF on a large scale.  It briefs well, but the reality is different.  We're now going to have to spend time randomly to get parents to pay for their Scout to recharter rather than

I may get another naughty notice but......this is just another example of how the Boy Scouts of America is a rusty machine that is grinding itself to pieces.  This whole BSA thing is being administere

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

How many of those youth activities charge the adults who are serving as coaches?  That's the crazy part about BSA.  Charging people to volunteer their time.  A background check and insurance can't possibly cost $60.  If you lose the volunteers, the program dies.  That's one of the main causes of lost units in my area.  My pack will most likely die after my daughter crosses over, unless we get a parent coming behind me with a high level of passion.  

I've heard from multiple folks that the intention post-bankruptcy was to have adult fees equal the youth fees by 2025. Starting to believe hat is going to be the case. 

National finally released the metrics for the Order of the Arrow PMP for 2023 (after months of the year are over). Loved this little nugget and the logic given (this $25 equates to FoS donation, so that is pure and clear "profit" off each OA member they want):

High Performing lodges should aim to increase contributions to councils from $23.00 per lodge member to $25.00 per lodge member. Over the past five years, every High Performing lodge has contributed over $25.00 per member, even when its prior goals were less than $25.00. This goal aims to strengthen relationships between OA lodges and councils in the long run.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, skeptic said:

https://blog.verifirst.com/blog/bid/305407/cost-of-a-background-check-how-much-should-you-pay

Add the cost of fingerprinting in many cases, anywhere from fifty plus dollars from what I have seen.  Locally for the minimum it approaches one hundred dollars.  

Juat saying: a background without a complete search is not what they need, especially today.

FBI fingerprint background check, $23.25 for volunteers.

https://www.dhs.pa.gov/KeepKidsSafe/Clearances/Pages/FBI-Fingerprinting.aspx

Now, this is a result of the state of PA contracting with the company to do state employee fingerprinting at $25.25 a head.  Volunteers (who pay for their own) get a $2 discount.

29 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

I've heard from multiple folks that the intention post-bankruptcy was to have adult fees equal the youth fees by 2025. Starting to believe hat is going to be the case. 

National finally released the metrics for the Order of the Arrow PMP for 2023 (after months of the year are over). Loved this little nugget and the logic given (this $25 equates to FoS donation, so that is pure and clear "profit" off each OA member they want):

High Performing lodges should aim to increase contributions to councils from $23.00 per lodge member to $25.00 per lodge member. Over the past five years, every High Performing lodge has contributed over $25.00 per member, even when its prior goals were less than $25.00. This goal aims to strengthen relationships between OA lodges and councils in the long run.

Just keeping feed in the trough...

47 minutes ago, skeptic said:

None of the volunteers in my pack have submitted fingerprints.  Doubt anyone in the council has.

1 minute ago, Armymutt said:

None of the volunteers in my pack have submitted fingerprints.  Doubt anyone in the council has.

It's PA law here.  All volunteers must have that, a PA State Police check, and a PA Child Services check.  All three documents must be on file at the council office (and with your CO), and be renewed every 5 years.

1 hour ago, Cburkhardt said:

$80   Youth

$60  Adults

$30  ScoutReach

$25  Joining Fee

$25  Merit Badge Counselors

$50  Explorers

These are now public.  This is a $5 increase for youth, $15 increase for adults and a new fee for MB Counselors.   The MB counselors are being required to pass YPT and undergo background checks as a result of the negotiated bankruptcy settlement.  These fees are being subsidized by private donations to keep the increases at these levels.  Without the private donations, the youth fee would be at least $100.

Where is it public?  I am not doubting, I just need to source it when I let the Committee know.

8 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

It's PA law here.  All volunteers must have that, a PA State Police check, and a PA Child Services check.  All three documents must be on file at the council office (and with your CO), and be renewed every 5 years.

That's not national though.  Perhaps the PA fees should be higher to account for laws in that state rather than charging everyone the same.  Since most parents are not volunteering, why not just add that increased cost on to the youth fee?  People shouldn't have to pay more to give their time.  

We have never charged our volunteers to volunteer. We know how many volunteers we need to pay for and divide that cost and build it into what we charge scouts. Now each adult will get an email charging them $60 to volunteer each year. I can't think through just yet if we will attempt to reimburse that or what that will look like. 

I agree that this sounds ok at first glance but will actually lead to added work on the part of the (paying) volunteers running each unit. 

Continuing to think on this, and am wondering if there will be a box to check for scout that are on scholarship- if their renewal emails can be sent straight to the pack. If anyone is national is listening, we need that to be an option! 

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Armymutt said:

This is going to be a CF on a large scale.  It briefs well, but the reality is different.  We're now going to have to spend time randomly to get parents to pay for their Scout to recharter rather than do the annual drive to get them to pay?  How does this streamline anything?  We're going to have to have someone dedicated full time to tracking when every Scout is due to recharter rather than a bulk effort at one time.  

This is where my head went last night as well. National thinks on a calendar year basis for everything. Those of us delivering the program generally think on a school-year basis. Generalizing here, but most units strive for "back-to-school" recruitment, so new scouts you bring in (whether Cub or Scouts BSA) are then starting in August/September. So, those of us in the program now are theoretically "grandfathered" to the annual (1/1) fee structure, so easy enough for those you have around now both youth and adult. but, going forward, you start to add in "off-cycle" membership as of this fall. 

Now, add in the confusion regarding Council fees. There is nothing inherent in what National has decided that requires a Council to follow suit. our Council today does not "pro-rate" the Council Activity Fee. So, new Scout starting 9/1/23 is asked to pay $25 joining fee, $80 BSA Membership fee, $80 Council fee = $185. On 1/1/24, they will need to pay an additional $80 Council fee, and then for 9/1/24 another $80 BSA membership fee (assuming it doesn't go up again next year), and then 1/1/25 another $80 council fee. That is $425 in less than a year-and-a-half. Committee Chairs/Membership Chairs will have to track all the various dates, and for a unit to be fully compliant to BSA policy, if that Scout hasn't paid their BSA Membership fee timely, you would need to hold them back from participation. At least now, BSA can pull exception and be plausible that not all charters/membership renewal are processed by 1/1 so there is leeway. I cannot imagine that argument ever "holding up in court" so to speak going forward when there is no common one-size-fits-all date the entire BSA is on.

Now, swap my example above and change new Scout to new adult. Anyone who has had to track YPT for a unit will tell you it's like herding cats keeping everyone current on training. Truly, I believe they just opened the door to incredible chaos.

Edited by HashTagScouts
  • Upvote 2
18 hours ago, Armymutt said:

If you lose the volunteers, the program dies.  That's one of the main causes of lost units in my area.  My pack will most likely die after my daughter crosses over, unless we get a parent coming behind me with a high level of passion.  

I think this is a bigger issue. Fewer adults volunteering, irrespective of cost. Adding cost will make it worse.

There are ways around the fees. Do your own summer camp and save a bundle. Unfortunately, that takes volunteers.

Our troop is slowly morphing into a core of volunteers without kids in the program and parents that help but won't do any heavy lifting. I'm curious if this is close to the UK model (sounds like none of their leaders have kids in their units).

I don't see a solution to these problems yet but have a feeling we have to adapt to a new reality.

• Upvote 1

Just received an email from our council.  Note that there is no mention of national covering insurance for adults.  We still have to pay our $12 insurance fee on top of the $60 national fee.

Dear XXXXXXX Council Scouting Family, Thank you for your continued involvement in Scouting! The values we teach in the Scout Oath and Law are the foundation young people need to address and overcome challenges in their lives and the issues facing their generation. So, as we continue to deliver the Scouting experiences for our Scouting family, we wanted to share information concerning the National Membership Fee.

The National BSA’s emergence from bankruptcy represents a pivotal milestone in the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). The court’s decision to approve the organization’s reorganizational plan solidifies a path forward for survivors and the Scouting movement. To preserve its mission, the BSA has had to take some extraordinary steps over the past three years to reposition the organization for the future: streamlined its professional staff and volunteer structure, reduced overhead costs while maintaining essential services to support the local councils who were critical partners during the bankruptcy. However, further measures are needed to position Scouting for the future. The BSA must increase the national annual membership fees for both youth and adults. This was a difficult decision that involved the engagement of key stakeholders, but is essential to building a strong, safe, and vibrant Scouting program for our nation’s youth.

Effective August 1, 2023, the BSA will implement the following national membership fees which were approved by the National Executive Committee:

• $80 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting participants ($5 increase)
  • $60 for all adult volunteers ($15 increase to cover increased general liability insurance cost and enhanced background checks)
  • $25 one-time joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting (Not prorated and no change in fee)
  • $30 for Scoutreach (Not prorated)
  • $25 for Merit Badge Counselors (New Fee applies only for Merit Badge Counselors not already registered as leaders)
  • $50 for Exploring participants Youth & Adult ($5 increase)
  • $100 for a unit charter/affiliation fee (no change in fee)
  • $15 for Scout Life magazine

BSA will no longer prorate fees for New Members beginning

August 1, 2023 Beginning August 1, 2023, all new youth and adult members who join Scouting will be enrolled in a 12-month membership cycle and BSA will cease prorating fees. Both youth and adults will pay the full annual membership fee and will renew their membership on the anniversary date of joining Scouting. All proration of membership fees will be eliminated. Each registered member of the BSA will receive an email notice with a registration renewal link beginning 60 days before the anniversary date they joined Scouting. Unit leaders will receive a copy of the email and should stay engaged in the membership renewal process just like rechartering.

Please note: The XXXXXXX Council’s annual youth fee of $54 will remain the same as last year as will the $12 insurance fee for all registered youth and adults.

Thank you for what you do in the service of Scouting for our community and youth.

What another pile of boulderdash that some employee/ bean counter of BSA has developed to justify their own job.  It wasn't that long ago that every unit in a council was required to re charger on the same date.  Along with the re charter came re registration and everything that goes along with that.  I can just hear it now, " we can't go because Mr. X, Mr. Y, and Mr. Z have expired registrations!"  Increasing fees for volunteers and kids is a GRAND way to boost membership since opening the door to girls and the LGBTQ community didn't work.  In a few years the organization known as the Boy Scouts of America will be unrecognizable.