2023-2024 fees? Any rumors?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll reserve judgment until I read their plan for implementation. There is a chance (albeit a very slight one, IMHO) that national may have an elegant solution. I know, I know... I'm laughin

This is going to be a CF on a large scale.  It briefs well, but the reality is different.  We're now going to have to spend time randomly to get parents to pay for their Scout to recharter rather than

I may get another naughty notice but......this is just another example of how the Boy Scouts of America is a rusty machine that is grinding itself to pieces.  This whole BSA thing is being administere

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Cleveland Rocks said:

New Annual Membership Fee Process Announced – BSA Will No Longer Prorate Fees for New Members beginning August 1, 2023

Beginning August 1, 2023, all new youth and adult members who join Scouting will be enrolled in a 12-month membership cycle and BSA will cease prorating fees. Both youth and adults will pay the full annual membership fee and will renew their membership on the anniversary date of joining Scouting. All proration of membership fees will be eliminated. Each registered member of the BSA will receive an email notice with a registration renewal link beginning 60 days before the anniversary date they joined Scouting. Unit leaders will receive a copy of the email and should stay engaged in the membership renewal process just like rechartering. 

It is important to note, existing members will renew their membership during their normal registration/recharter cycle through March 2024. Moving forward all members will renew on their anniversary date. 
  • Existing members’ Anniversary date will be their unit recharter month.
  • New members’ Anniversary date will be the month they joined.

This new process will help streamline the rechartering and membership renewal process for units and councils. Additional information on this membership renewal process will be forthcoming in the very near future.

This is going to be a CF on a large scale.  It briefs well, but the reality is different.  We're now going to have to spend time randomly to get parents to pay for their Scout to recharter rather than do the annual drive to get them to pay?  How does this streamline anything?  We're going to have to have someone dedicated full time to tracking when every Scout is due to recharter rather than a bulk effort at one time.  

• Upvote 4

How about this:   As we have seen on the forum Councils are giving National a "salute" on this already.   Rules? we don't need no stinkin rules. 

Rules and Regulations - Local Council Annual Registration or Program Fees
Under the Rules and Regulations of the BSA, a local council may charge an annual registration or program fee to youth members, adult program participants and Scouters whose primary registration is with the council in an amount not to exceed the amount of the applicable individual registration fee for their position established by the Executive Committee. In the new Annual Membership fee structure, a local council may charge a maximum of $80 per youth and $60 per adult

Also remember units are not key stakeholders:  
This has been a difficult decision that involved the engagement of key stakeholders but is essential to building a strong, safe, and vibrant Scouting program for our nation’s youth. 
  • Like 1

I'm glad I'm transitioned now.  At one point, we had four actively registered scouts in my family and two registered adults.  That would have been $440 in national fees.  Probably another $320 in council fees at least.  $760 for just registration and before Boy's Life magazine, camping, uniforms, activities, miscellaneous AND fundraising to keep the unit viable.  Wow!   

In hind sight, I am sure there were many years that scouting cost was at least $5000 a year and some that must have been near twice that.  Jamboree.  High adventures.  Four summer camps.  ... and the miscellaneous cost for all those sleeping bags, tents and garage full of gear.

The real issue is moving these costs up front.  It makes it a decision factor.  

I'm sure baseball and other activities would have been similar in cost for four active kids.  BUT, the cost is now very visible.

Perhaps BSA should move more and more toward a certification model.  Here is the intellectual property and the requirements.  Send proof that you completed the requirements.  Then, BSA publishes the certificate confirming your achievement.  No taking responsibility for adult leaders.  Heck, having all MBCs as pre-registered BSA members defeats the concept of a MBC.

Edited by fred8033
  • Like 1

@Fred8033,

I'm with you. After this year, only one of my sons will be eligible to be a Scout. But he is burnt out. He has been doing Scouting in some shape or form since being a toddler, and hanging with his brothers in Cub Scouts. He achieved his goal, Eagle, and may quit once December comes. He may have stayed around if his brothers and a few 18+ friends stuck around, but none of them are willing to give up their friendships per YP rules to remain in Scouting.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

@Fred8033,

I'm with you. After this year, only one of my sons will be eligible to be a Scout. But he is burnt out. He has been doing Scouting in some shape or form since being a toddler, and hanging with his brothers in Cub Scouts. He achieved his goal, Eagle, and may quit once December comes. He may have stayed around if his brothers and a few 18+ friends stuck around, but none of them are willing to give up their friendships per YP rules to remain in Scouting.

My daughter is working on Life, but she will be 15 soon and other interests are taking priority.  I can not get her to do what needs to be done, she just isnt into it.  Son is 2nd Class and kind of the the same situation.  So, I dont know what we will do.  Like I said above, its gonna be $280 in fees just to National for our family now.

3 hours ago, Cleveland Rocks said:

Frequently Asked Questions

What i driving the youth and adult membership fee increase?
  • General Liability Insurance costs to protect volunteer leaders, staff, charter organizations, units, and youth.
  • BSA restructuring costs. 
  • Enhanced Criminal Background check processes and investments in Youth protection and safety programs.

What steps has the National Service Center taken to manage costs?
  • Completed a new staff structure and streamlined both the professional workforce and the volunteer structure, while maintaining essential services.
  • Reduced the National staff workforce to support essential services.
  • Reduced expenses throughout the National organization.

What benefits and services are provided to the unit with the registration fee? 
  • Expanded General Liability Insurance protections for the chartered organization and unit leaders in the event of an incident.
  • Program research and development including, Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing, and Exploring. 
  • Access to Youth Protection Training, Incident Reporting, and Scouts First Helpline: 1-  844-Scouts1. 
  • Access to leadership-specific training for adult leaders.
  • Investments in program literature and resource development. 
  • Ability to purchase Uniforms, Insignia, and Recognition for youth and Adults.
  • Provides access to Membership, Marketing, and Brand Center resources. 
  • Provides important technology support including Scout Book, online registration, online advancement, and rechartering, My. Scouting, BeAScout, and BSA Brand Center for digital assets.
  • Access to the four BSA High Adventure Properties including Philmont Scout Ranch, Florida Sea Base, Northern Tier High Adventure Base, and the Summit Bechtel Reserve.

IMHO, an understating of the important and an overstating the mundane.

I would like details. As I recall Tilden when CEO Alaskan Airlines, cut executive salaries during difficult times. What expanded insurance protections? What expenses have been reduced - are handbooks and MB books freely online? How much has the yearly cost of scouting increased?

Tell, Show, Do.

My $0.02,

• Like 1

So, again we will see comments that ignore other youth activity costs.  That is the standard, and has been such for a while now.  BSA kept cost per member low for decades in comparison to most other groups, and they still are on averge less.  Here is one comparative example, and there are others.  It is not clear what additional costs may incur in relation these, and it does not indicate what the cost includes.  A little digging may clarify; but one likely would expect it to cover similar organizational needs, such as hopefully some form of YP/background process, including vetting adults.  My impression is that the YP issues may yet not be broadly faced by many groups as they are smaller and also have not attracted the lawyers.  https://www.playgroundequipment.com/the-average-cost-of-each-childrens-sport/#:~:text=The average cost of youth,child each year is %24693.  

And, my observations locally over a long while is that many that yell the loudest have little issue with numerous frivioul costs for their youth, icluding yearly trips to major theme parks, regular fast food, video games, and phones, to note a few.  Just saying, it is not easily assessed, and not likely apples to oranges.  

Edited by skeptic
Add to.
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, skeptic said:

So, again we will see comments that ignore other youth activity costs.  That is the standard, and has been such for a while now.  BSA kept cost per member low for decades in comparison to most other groups, and they still are on averge less. 

Probably because most folks in my neck of the woods cannot afford other youth activities. Any increase in price is significant, despite what the cost compared to other activities .

My guess is the important part is non-prorated. They are getting 2x the fees from all new Cubs in one year. So, instead of $50 in Sept, they are getting $105. The adult fee was low hanging fruit. They need operating cash and this is it. Not good. Just needed. 

4 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Sounds like what we do with Unit Scouter Reserve already, but now the fee could be less...

Expect units to latch on to this one for money savings until National & Councils find a way to close that loophole, as MBCs are district/council positions, and do not require approval by the COR.

P.S.  Look for the "Adults registered solely as Merit Badge Counselors may not accompany units on overnight events." prohibition in the near future...

No, MBCs are already listed as excluded effective 9/1/23:

All adults staying overnight in connection with a Scouting activity must be currently registered in an adult fee required position as listed or as an adult program participant. Limited exception below for Cub Scout overnight Programs.]

See FAQ for list of adult fee required positions.  Registration as a Merit Badge Counselor does not meet this requirement.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

They are getting 2x the fees from all new Cubs in one year. So, instead of $50 in Sept, they are getting $105.

@mrjohns2they are really not though because these Cubs will now be on a 12mts rolling calendar and no longer pay National BSA again in December with recharter. This change will decouple the unit recharter from the National membership fees. However, this also means that someone in the adult leadership of a unit will now have to constantly keep checking and nudging parents to renew their National membership every 12mts to stay enrolled (checked and insured) and then sell to them why in later in the year they have to pay again for Council and Unit fees. In a large unit this will become a fulltime adult committee position to keep track of all the individual membership dates.

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

So, again we will see comments that ignore other youth activity costs.  That is the standard, and has been such for a while now.  BSA kept cost per member low for decades in comparison to most other groups, and they still are on averge less.  Here is one comparative example, and there are others.  It is not clear what additional costs may incur in relation these, and it does not indicate what the cost includes.  A little digging may clarify; but one likely would expect it to cover similar organizational needs, such as hopefully some form of YP/background process, including vetting adults.  My impression is that the YP issues may yet not be broadly faced by many groups as they are smaller and also have not attracted the lawyers.  https://www.playgroundequipment.com/the-average-cost-of-each-childrens-sport/#:~:text=The average cost of youth,child each year is %24693.  

And, my observations locally over a long while is that many that yell the loudest have little issue with numerous frivioul costs for their youth, icluding yearly trips to major theme parks, regular fast food, video games, and phones, to note a few.  Just saying, it is not easily assessed, and not likely apples to oranges.  

How many of those youth activities charge the adults who are serving as coaches?  That's the crazy part about BSA.  Charging people to volunteer their time.  A background check and insurance can't possibly cost $60.  If you lose the volunteers, the program dies.  That's one of the main causes of lost units in my area.  My pack will most likely die after my daughter crosses over, unless we get a parent coming behind me with a high level of passion.  

• Like 1

$80   Youth

$60  Adults

$30  ScoutReach

$25  Joining Fee

$25  Merit Badge Counselors

$50  Explorers

These are now public.  This is a $5 increase for youth, $15 increase for adults and a new fee for MB Counselors.   The MB counselors are being required to pass YPT and undergo background checks as a result of the negotiated bankruptcy settlement.  These fees are being subsidized by private donations to keep the increases at these levels.  Without the private donations, the youth fee would be at least $100.