2023-2024 fees? Any rumors?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll reserve judgment until I read their plan for implementation. There is a chance (albeit a very slight one, IMHO) that national may have an elegant solution. I know, I know... I'm laughin

This is going to be a CF on a large scale.  It briefs well, but the reality is different.  We're now going to have to spend time randomly to get parents to pay for their Scout to recharter rather than

I may get another naughty notice but......this is just another example of how the Boy Scouts of America is a rusty machine that is grinding itself to pieces.  This whole BSA thing is being administere

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Momleader said:

Don’t they usually wait until August?

Simone had the dates from the last 3. I think it has been in June, July, and the big one a few years back in October. 

I think last year it was in June so they can start charging it in July. 

Edited by mrjohns2

As part of the bankruptcy, they had to lay out a plan to solvency. One of the items planned was higher dues each year. 

I thought it was a $3 increase last year (72 to 75). That was probably less the a COL increase. 

The National fee will be the least of your problem.  The usury extra fees that councils will add on with impunity as we have heard on the forums will likely drive more out of the program.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, PACAN said:

The usury extra fees that councils will add on with impunity as we have heard on the forums will likely drive more out of the program.

Our council, so far, has no fee. They have been very conservative with their money. So, I support the FOS and we usually meet our stretch goal. The council gets funds and no council fee. Zero. I know we are lucky and in the minority. 

Emailed out last night from our neighboring council, from the NAM:

Dear Scouting family,

Moments ago we received the following very important message from our national council and wanted to share it with you in its entirety. 

BSA’s emergence from bankruptcy represents a pivotal milestone in the Boy Scouts of America (BSA)’s financial restructuring case and solidifies a path forward for survivors and the Scouting movement. 

To preserve its mission, the BSA has had to take some extraordinary steps over the past three years to reposition the organization for the future. The BSA has streamlined its professional staff and volunteer structure, reducing costs throughout the movement while maintaining essential services to support the local councils who were critical partners during the bankruptcy. 

To position Scouting for the future, the BSA will be required to increase the national annual membership fees for both youth and adults. This has been a difficult decision that involved the engagement of key stakeholders but is essential to building a strong, safe, and vibrant Scouting program for our nation’s youth. 

Effective August 1, 2023, the BSA will implement the following national membership fees which were approved by the National Executive Committee:

• $80 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting participants ($5 increase)
  • $60 for all adult volunteers ($15 increase to provide general liability insurance and enhanced background checks) 
  • $25 one-time joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting (Not prorated and no change in fee)
  • $30 for Scoutreach (Not prorated)
  • $25 for Merit Badge Counselors (New Fee applies only for Merit Badge Counselors not already registered as leaders) 
  • $50 for Exploring participants Youth & Adult ($5 increase)
  • $100 for a unit charter/affiliation fee (no change in fee)
  • $15 for Scout Life magazine

New Annual Membership Fee Process Announced – BSA Will No Longer Prorate Fees for New Members beginning August 1, 2023

Beginning August 1, 2023, all new youth and adult members who join Scouting will be enrolled in a 12-month membership cycle and BSA will cease prorating fees. Both youth and adults will pay the full annual membership fee and will renew their membership on the anniversary date of joining Scouting. All proration of membership fees will be eliminated. Each registered member of the BSA will receive an email notice with a registration renewal link beginning 60 days before the anniversary date they joined Scouting. Unit leaders will receive a copy of the email and should stay engaged in the membership renewal process just like rechartering. 

It is important to note, existing members will renew their membership during their normal registration/recharter cycle through March 2024. Moving forward all members will renew on their anniversary date. 
  • Existing members’ Anniversary date will be their unit recharter month.
  • New members’ Anniversary date will be the month they joined.

This new process will help streamline the rechartering and membership renewal process for units and councils. Additional information on this membership renewal process will be forthcoming in the very near future.

Rules and Regulations - Local Council Annual Registration or Program Fees
Under the Rules and Regulations of the BSA, a local council may charge an annual registration or program fee to youth members, adult program participants and Scouters whose primary registration is with the council in an amount not to exceed the amount of the applicable individual registration fee for their position established by the Executive Committee. In the new Annual Membership fee structure, a local council may charge a maximum of $80 per youth and $60 per adult

What does the National Membership Fee cover?
The national membership fee helps cover the cost of essential services to the local council and units. Services include expanded liability insurance for those participating in approved Scouting activities, enhanced criminal background checks, a variety of program resources, youth protection and leader-specific training, and the development of intellectual property for national, council, and unit programs. As BSA moves forward, the organization will continue to look at the membership fee structure and how we deliver the Scouting program for future generations. 

Across the country and in each of our communities, we know that Scouting remains one of the most valuable investments we can make in youth today so they can become the leaders we will turn to tomorrow. Our dedicated volunteers, staff, and Scouting families make this possible. Thank you for continuing to support one of the most valuable opportunities available to young people today.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is driving the youth and adult membership fee increase?
  • General Liability Insurance costs to protect volunteer leaders, staff, charter organizations, units, and youth.
  • BSA restructuring costs. 
  • Enhanced Criminal Background check processes and investments in Youth protection and safety programs.

What steps has the National Service Center taken to manage costs?
  • Completed a new staff structure and streamlined both the professional workforce and the volunteer structure, while maintaining essential services.
  • Reduced the National staff workforce to support essential services.
  • Reduced expenses throughout the National organization.

What is the new membership fee for youth and adults? Will the fees go up again?
  • The new adult membership fee is $60, and the youth membership fee is $80 annually. 
  • The BSA will continue to evaluate the membership fees and keep our councils and unit leaders informed of any further changes to the fee structure. 

What benefits and services are provided to the local council with the new fee? 
  • Expanded GLIP protections for Chartered Organizations and volunteers. 
  • Enhanced Criminal Background checks.
  • Investments in BSA safety resources and training.
  • The employment of a new Youth Protection Executive and support staff.
  • The National Council provides the following essential services to councils:
  • The use of BSA Intellectual Property – Youth Safety, Cub Scouts, Scouts, BSA, Venturing, Camp Standards, Training and Program development etc. 
  • Legal 
  • Human Resources 
  • Information Technology – Rechartering, Scout Book
  • Accounting Resources
  • Council Services Support
  • Membership & Marketing Support
  • Crisis Communications and support
  • Safety & Membership Standards Support
  • A variety of training support for youth and adult leaders
  • Health Insurance & Benefits

What benefits and services are provided to the unit with the registration fee? 
  • Expanded General Liability Insurance protections for the chartered organization and unit leaders in the event of an incident.
  • Program research and development including, Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing, and Exploring. 
  • Access to Youth Protection Training, Incident Reporting, and Scouts First Helpline: 1-  844-Scouts1. 
  • Access to leadership-specific training for adult leaders.
  • Investments in program literature and resource development. 
  • Ability to purchase Uniforms, Insignia, and Recognition for youth and Adults.
  • Provides access to Membership, Marketing, and Brand Center resources. 
  • Provides important technology support including Scout Book, online registration, online advancement, and rechartering, My. Scouting, BeAScout, and BSA Brand Center for digital assets.
  • Access to the four BSA High Adventure Properties including Philmont Scout Ranch, Florida Sea Base, Northern Tier High Adventure Base, and the Summit Bechtel Reserve.
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Cleveland Rocks said:

$25 for Merit Badge Counselors (New Fee applies only for Merit Badge Counselors not already registered as leaders)

Wonder what the impact will be to our local MBC rolls?

I expect minimal, as most MBCs I know are already registered as leaders.  But I am sure those folks who are not involved with Scouting in other roles will not pay for being a MBC.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I expect minimal, as most MBCs I know are already registered as leaders

I see the same in my district and council.  When I look up a MBC in Scoutbook it is pretty much always someone who is also registered in some other position.

My question would be how this will affect the new camping rules come September 1.  Since MBC will now be a fee paid position will that allow them to be included in unit camping???

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Cleveland Rocks said:
  • $25 for Merit Badge Counselors (New Fee applies only for Merit Badge Counselors not already registered as leaders) 

One positive out of the MBC fee, now MBCs can camp with troops, ships, and crews  since they are in a PAID position.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Cleveland Rocks said:
It is important to note, existing members will renew their membership during their normal registration/recharter cycle through March 2024. Moving forward all members will renew on their anniversary date. 
  • Existing members’ Anniversary date will be their unit recharter month.
  • New members’ Anniversary date will be the month they joined.

OK, so, does this mean membership fees will be un-coupled from the unit re-charter process?  I'm thinking through that one, and do not really see a down side, yet...  But wondering about the implementation of it.  

17 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

One positive out of the MBC fee, now MBCs can camp with troops, ships, and crews  since they are in a PAID position.

Sounds like what we do with Unit Scouter Reserve already, but now the fee could be less...

Expect units to latch on to this one for money savings until National & Councils find a way to close that loophole, as MBCs are district/council positions, and do not require approval by the COR.

P.S.  Look for the "Adults registered solely as Merit Badge Counselors may not accompany units on overnight events." prohibition in the near future...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
Added post script