Chartered Org Advertising on Uniforms

Hello

My Troop recently gained a new CO, this is our 3rd since 2018.  This one wants us to change our Troop design to incorporate their Org.  We have a very strong identity to our design which is based on a local school/playground landmark.  And that design is littered throughout our materials, paperwork, website, shirts, neckerchief, posters, banners, water bottles, you name it.  Considering we have had CO turnover (not due to any fault of our own), and considering the pervasiveness of our current design I am concerned about the cost to replace all of these things if we start making a new design to incorporate the CO (and then what happens if they decide to not be a CO anymore)?

Are there any rules around this sort of thing? As in, is there a rule that prevents our scouts from becoming walking advert for our new CO in the form of Class B shirts and neckerchiefs?

I'm all for supporting the new CO, I just really like our current design. Our Troop is struggling with a leadership change right now and I'm worried that this change would be hurtful to our Troop's success. (I'm totally aware I could just raise these points with the CO and see what they say as well but wanted to see if there were any rules first so I could be fully informed).

Thanks!

Well, the troop is a program of the CO. So, if they want their troop to have their logo, I don’t see what the issue is. Now, it may sound heavy handed. You can always let them know that changes will happen as supplies run out or if they want to buy more for their troop, that would help love it along. 

• Upvote 3

First mistake: a troop design that incorporates the name of the CO.

Second mistake: slapping a troop design on every piece of property.

Your identity is now with this CO. They were kind enough to take you in, you want to award them recognition on your new flag or whatever else you have. I would suggest you no longer bother with putting the CO’s name on every piece of cloth. Select a standard issue neckerchief, and use only your troop number on most of your gear.

Let the CO know your concerns, but be prepared to flex to them.

• Upvote 4

Yes with all the changes going on, I would not put CO on anything. In fact I would not put any district names or council names in any  unit logo. Districts merge, and councils will be shortly.

What I have seen done once was a unit celebrated their 25th anniversary by adding a wreath around their unit logo, and the years underneath the logo. That special logo was used just for the 25th anniversary year, and they went back to the normal logo after the anniversary.

• Upvote 1

Also, you ought to work to drive identity to the Patrol level.  This is the heart of Scouting.

A Troop is not made up of Patrols...

Patrols come together to form a Troop.  Please work to shift to that paradigm.  Your Troop identity comes in the form of Troop numerals and a Troop neckerchief (optional) selected and approved by the PLC.

That said, if our CO were to ask the same question, we would be happy to comply, but tell them it will cost them the "start-up" fees.  Everyone who has already purchased, say, a neckerchief, is vested in that identity, and if the CO wants to change it, let them know what the cost will be, as @mrjohns2 says, "...as supplies run out..."

• Upvote 2

so, it's come to NIL deals for scout troops.

(Lol) my big worry is if the council finds out that there is money in selling ads (again) look at the old scout books lots of ads.

I have seen camps being sponsored big a corporation put never a direct naming deal. While at least not yet (lol)

Am I the only one not entirely comfortable with corporate-sponsored scouting? 

Shouldn't we be in the forest tying knots or drying blisters or something, maybe talking to the trees and animals, stuff that's mostly free because we're anti-materialists? Or am I just too cave yogi about the whole thing?

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Am I the only one not entirely comfortable with corporate-sponsored scouting? 

Shouldn't we be in the forest tying knots or drying blisters or something, maybe talking to the trees and animals, stuff that's mostly free because we're anti-materialists? Or am I just too cave yogi about the whole thing?

No, you are not the only one.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Bechtel donated money. They did not ask that every uniform have a Bechtel patch on it. If their purpose was advertising then they lost a lot of money. My guess is very few scouts or parents know about the Bechtel reserve, or whatever it's called.

This thread was about a CO, a church, asking about changing the troop emblem to include the CO's emblem. This is not Nike and Jokic. Show them the cost and ask them to pay for it. I suspect they'd drop that idea immediately.

1) The BSA model requires a corporate sponsor of some kind: Church/mosque/synagogue, fire department, hardware store, PTA,  private school,  private tree company, I have seen many different  COs.

2)  BIG corporate sponsors (Bechtel,  what was Philmont named from? ) give money,  and do it to gain some "good points" (Karma? Is that a thing in the biz world?), publicity is always a good thing.  John H. Smith  Flag Pole....  naming can be done as appropriate.  Smithsonian Institution comes to mind.  

3) Sometimes it is "anonymous" that gives the money to build a camp dining hall, or a new fleet of sailboats.  Sometimes it is just the woman who says, "no thanks , don't need a christmas wreath, but I love Scouts, here's $20. "

4) Sometimes it's the Eagle Scout who ages out, takes his "Scout Account" (which he never utilized) and buys the Troop a new Trailer, suitably decorated and down in the corner is the notation "donated by Eagle Scout Jackie Jones, 1998"

5)  I do not agree with supplanting the usual Scout symbology with corporate logos.  The New Troop Flag will note "TROOP 9999 (Scout fleur de lis) Johnson's Business" if that is appropriate.   On the necker? no.... On the sign out front (""MEETS HERE"")  works for me.  On a T-Shirt? ummmm maybe , depending...  On a ball cap?   Troop number up front, corp logo on the back, perhaps....   

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SSScout said:

1) The BSA model requires a corporate sponsor of some kind: Church/mosque/synagogue, fire department, hardware store, PTA,  private school,  private tree company, I have seen many different  COs.

2)  BIG corporate sponsors (Bechtel,  what was Philmont named from? ) give money,  and do it to gain some "good points" (Karma? Is that a thing in the biz world?), publicity is always a good thing.  John H. Smith  Flag Pole....  naming can be done as appropriate.  Smithsonian Institution comes to mind.  

3) Sometimes it is "anonymous" that gives the money to build a camp dining hall, or a new fleet of sailboats.  Sometimes it is just the woman who says, "no thanks , don't need a christmas wreath, but I love Scouts, here's $20. "

4) Sometimes it's the Eagle Scout who ages out, takes his "Scout Account" (which he never utilized) and buys the Troop a new Trailer, suitably decorated and down in the corner is the notation "donated by Eagle Scout Jackie Jones, 1998"

5)  I do not agree with supplanting the usual Scout symbology with corporate logos.  The New Troop Flag will note "TROOP 9999 (Scout fleur de lis) Johnson's Business" if that is appropriate.   On the necker? no.... On the sign out front (""MEETS HERE"")  works for me.  On a T-Shirt? ummmm maybe , depending...  On a ball cap?   Troop number up front, corp logo on the back, perhaps....   

The Bad News Bears: Chico's Bail Bonds – T-Shirts On Screen

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2