The small world of Scouting

I was in my office today when I heard a conversation down the hall.  The OIC was giving a tour to one of our counterparts at the hospital who was there to register his dog.  She told him how we are organized and how we have an internship program here as well.  She asked if he wanted to meet the instructors.  I got up to meet them at the door and walked out to see the CM of a pack on the other side of town back in NC.  We shared a campsite at the Spookoree last fall.  Was quite surprised to see him here.  Getting him plugged into the district here and hopefully we can build a relationship between our professional organizations as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Armymutt said:

I was in my office today when I heard a conversation down the hall.  The OIC was giving a tour to one of our counterparts at the hospital who was there to register his dog. ...

I'm curious, what kind of registration tags does the US Army give to dogs owned by members? :unsure:

Over the years,  it has been pleasantly reassuring meeting old familiar scouters at activities.

RS with a 10wk puppy getting her second core vax today.

We register them in the computer if they are going to live on-post.  Basically it is just making sure the microchip is accurate in the medical record so if the dog gets out, animal control can scan it and identify the owner. 

Ah, so a microchip is required for dog ownership?  My town still uses the old annual collar tags. Microchips are uncommon for mutt owners here.

I will ask vet about microchips, blood types, recommended genetic screening.

Yup, microchips are required for pets on-post.  It's generally considered the best method of identification.  They can migrate, but they aren't going to fall off or get torn off.  If the pet gets found and turned over to a shelter or a clinic, they can get scanned and call one of the companies to get contact info.  

• Thanks 1