Experienced adult leader not sure how to volunteer with new council

Start attending roundtable.  Meet the district committee.  In my experience - they will definitely have a way to use your energy.  It could be commissioner life.  It could be helping to plan a district event. 

I kind of "get" that local units are going to be a harder sell for a "stranger" off the street without a Scout of their own as at least an initial foot in the door.  But show up to district roundtable a couple times and you'll find yourself well employed soon.

You can bring value over a wider area in that kind of role (many units benefit from your energy vs. one) and you'll still have plenty of opportunities to get outdoors.

Another path could be OA if you're a member from your youth, a lot of lodges are thirsty for more adult participation and support.  It's another multi unit support option.

Thanks for your passion!

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

I appreciate TWP's position; it was exactly the same situation I was in when I first tried volunteering about 7-8 years ago when I still lived in the Midwest. Even though I was a certified local teacher with years of experience teaching math to middle and high school students, I got the cold shoulder for not having any kids. The people I spoke with at the council office were very standoffish. "Why do you want to volunteer with us when you have no kids in the program?" "It's very unusual for someone in your position to volunteer; a lot of parents might have a hard time accepting you since you are single and have no kids."

The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, and I never went back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
On 6/28/2023 at 2:24 PM, MisterH said:

I appreciate TWP's position; it was exactly the same situation I was in when I first tried volunteering about 7-8 years ago when I still lived in the Midwest. Even though I was a certified local teacher with years of experience teaching math to middle and high school students, I got the cold shoulder for not having any kids. The people I spoke with at the council office were very standoffish. "Why do you want to volunteer with us when you have no kids in the program?" "It's very unusual for someone in your position to volunteer; a lot of parents might have a hard time accepting you since you are single and have no kids."

The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, and I never went back.

That stinks and I'm sorry you've had that experience!  I'm also without kids (but married), easing into my local council and having two SMs express interest in a volunteer (both seem to be large units that have trouble fielding enough folks for YPT).  Even with the need, there's def a bit of energy around "you don't have a kiddo here?"  I mention teaching & doing behavioral therapy with autistic kids and most folks calm down but I 100% know that trust will come with time and showing up regularly to always be helpful, cheerful, and supremely patient.

For an org needing volunteers pretty desperately from what I hear, and with some of us trying to carry on a family legacy (both generations above me made eagle and grandpa volunteered extensively even after my stepdad aged out), it's definitely a chore to earn that trust sometimes and feels like an interesting two-sided coin (need volunteers vs younger adults without kids regarded as sus).

• Upvote 1

Not giving an excuse, but it seemed like on the district level they seemed cautious, even for a guy with 3 kids, to make sure you weren’t a flash in the pan. I think sometimes they have people come in guns a blazin and then they take on stuff and fall through. 

I sympathize to some degree. I tried volunteering after college and I just felt out-of-place. I wasn't fully accepted as an adult, but was obviously too old to be a participant. I recently became involved again as a parent and have (mostly) enjoyed that experience.

OP - while I hope you find the right role in your new council, it's OK to not volunteer right now. Enjoy the season of life that you're currently in.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you should volunteer on the district committee. Also reach out to the director of camping services; those people always need volunteers to come out and run MB sessions, provide 2 deep leadership at ranges, etc ...

• Upvote 3
52 minutes ago, Tron said:

Sounds like you should volunteer on the district committee.

This is always a great way of getting to know who’s who. Then other opportunities will open up as people know you, your skills, and interests. 

• Upvote 1