Experienced adult leader not sure how to volunteer with new council

I was a Scout myself and volunteered as an ASM with my own home troop and with another troop after college. I was well liked as an ASM, helped the Scouts plan some ambitious outings and went on high adventure. I recently moved to a new state and want to continue working in this program, which has helped me build my leadership skills and given me a positive thing to put my energy toward.

I contacted the council in my new home and met with the membership growth director, and he didn't say so directly but I could tell he suspected it was a little weird that I wanted to volunteer with scouts when I don't have my own child in the program. He said "we don't usually have people reaching out to us, so this was a unique situation" (When I was in Scouts we had several very talented and respected adult leaders without kids). He also said that all the units basically have plenty of ASMs already and nobody needs one.

I reached out to individual units over email but no response. Also, some of these emails bounced and some of these units have websites which are non-operational or have very out-of-date material on them.

So right now I am registered as a district-level merit badge counselor but I don't really know anyone and don't have anyone asking me to teach a merit badge. I might be in a council where additional leaders are not needed or wanted. Should I just find something else to focus on?

Edited by TWP
typo/detail
  • Like 1

@TWP , welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, no don't leave.

I don't believe the guy that said everyone has enough volunteers. However, everyone is a bit gun shy about adults without kids. What you need to do is gain some trust. Try volunteering with the local district. At worst you can help at a MB event and make some connections so people know you.  Volunteer to help at a camporee so you can get to know the local troops.

BTW, I don't have kids in the troop and I'm having a hard time saying no. I used to be the SM when my son was around.

Edited by MattR
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, TWP said:

He also said that all the units basically have plenty of ASMs already and nobody needs one.

LOL, that's just downright dishonest...

What state are you in, please??  We need some help 😜

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Sad 1

Having been in your shoes here are some ideas.

1. Find out if your church, civic group, etc has a unit you can be part of. did that in 2 councils i moved to and knew no one.

2. Serve on a district level. I was an OA associate chapter advisor in two councils as well. Aslo served on training staff.

3. Show up to a unit. I did that once. Yes people were skeptical, but after talking scouting and giving references, it worked out.

4. do not give up

good luck

EDITED yes where ya at. I need help too.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 2

I really like the idea of being a commissioner. Unit or otherwise. That can get you involved in the district level, but that doesn’t mean only meetings. You can help with a camporee, or Klondike derby, or other such events that will allow you to directly help scouts have a great time. Very sad you for the cold shoulder. What they said wasn’t true. 

After you consider the bankruptcy and what transpired in the past to bring BSA to that point, you can understand why units don't want unknown adults around their scouts. I'd think you were sketchy if you walked in the door asking to help. But with your experience you would be a great asset to teach adults to become new leaders and help their units. Talk to the council and district. Our council always has a need for commissioners. See if you can volunteer at the local BSA camp. You need to find a way in, build your network, meet other scout leaders in your area to earn their trust.

Since you are a merit badge counselor, pick one badge and hold a seminar. Book a place and a time to meet. Promote it through the council/district. Let them come to you.

Yeah I don't want to put myself in a role where the initial reaction everyone has is that it's sketchy. I have done nothing to deserve that and I am not ok with being seen that way. If that's how people feel and I have to work to convince every single person I meet that I'm normal then I'm out

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, TWP said:

Yeah I don't want to put myself in a role where the initial reaction everyone has is that it's sketchy. I have done nothing to deserve that and I am not ok with being seen that way. If that's how people feel and I have to work to convince every single person I meet that I'm normal then I'm out

Don’t blame the organization or its members. Blame the people who took advantage of it and the subculture that encouraged them to act that way.

Personally, I don’t care if a scouter from other parts would show up with or without children of his/her own. I’m letting him/her in slowly.

My advice: show up at round table in your district. Look for training opportunities. Have fun.

Meanwhile, participate in local clubs that do activities related to the merit badges that you counsel. Those adults might have other connections that you might enjoy making.

• Upvote 2

I absolutely guarantee your local council camp is in desperate need of help this summer.

Do you have a free week during the camp season?  Volunteer to work at the camp.  They will likely give you a tent and meals gratis, for your effort.

Even if you volunteer to be the lookout in the tower at the waterfront all week, it will be a great help.

Or, if you are handy, ride with the Camp Ranger for the week (or work in the shop).  There is always something that needs fixing at camp!

Summer Camp is a great place to get "visibility" with many of your local troop leaders, district, and council folks.  If you are looking to forge relationships, this is the most "bang for your buck."

If you work for a major corporation, most have a "Dollars for Doers" program, where you volunteer X amount of hours, and they donate Y amount of dollars to the charity you work for.  If you have this, volunteer at camp (knocks out the hours quickly), and have corporate send the donation to the council.

There are a million ways to do this.

Also, I totally get the reaction of others, but also totally disagree with it.  We have built a system of Youth Protection that, if followed, should help remove some of that groundless mistrust.  But, you must follow the YPT rules and Scouter Code of Conduct strictly.  Do not give anyone reason to suspect, and gradually, that wall will come down.

You will need to fill out an application for Camp Staff, and depending on your state, do background checks and some training, but that is all do-able.

Again, what state are you in?

• Upvote 2

I see both sides.  All the leaders in our unit have or had youth in the unit; but we always need assistance.  Random person comes in and wants to volunteer, that is all good, BUT, we as the unit do have a responsibility to vet volunteers.  

After college I worked with my home unit for a couple of years, that was the connection.  Working in a new area I worked with the troop at my church, again that was the connection.  I another area I worked with a troop where I was good friends with the SM (we had been involved in Scouting activities).  The road to the volunteerism is smoother with some type of tangible connection.

Good luck on your scouting journey and look for some connections to get that right fit.  

52 minutes ago, TWP said:

Yeah I don't want to put myself in a role where the initial reaction everyone has is that it's sketchy.

I think sketchy is the wrong word here. Rather, people just aren't ready to trust you with their kids. Trust takes time. And it's not just about scouters and parents. I realize that scouts won't trust me the first time we meet so my relationship is a bit more measured. Same for parents. Same for any people meeting for the first time.

Trustworthy goes 2 ways. Give it the time it requires and you'll eventually be helping where you want. Also, follow the YPT rules to the letter. That's a big deal now.

1 hour ago, TWP said:

Sometimes you will have to ignore it. Unit I grew up in and stuck around with while in college did have some new parents question my involvement since I hade aged out. Scouters and existing Scouts in the troop knew me, and had no problems. But new folks would sometimes have concerns. Once you have kids, you will understand.

Two units checked all my references in the councils I had been in, and my work history to verify I worked for BSA. One did their own background check on me.

The Hardest time getting trust was not a unit, but becoming a DE.  The district i was assigned to had a high turnover rate, and previous pros had little to no experience with the BSA. Plus lots of problems on the professional side in the council. Long story short, it took 6-8 months of doing attending just about everything: pinewood derby, OA events, camporee, training events, and summer camp before I gained the trust of my volunteers.

AND IT WAS WORTH!

I made lots of friends, some  of who me I am friends with today. Because folks knew I would do whatever to took to help Scouts, and the Scouters out, they helped me when I had challenges. I left the profession and the area, only to come back to the area as a volunteer. So do not get discouraged if you have to gain folks' trust. After all they have the same goal as you: protecting the Scouts and providing a great program to them

Good luck.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, TWP said:

That's just going to come with the territory in today's climate.  I moved to a new council.  Even as a Unit Commissioner, I was still viewed with suspicion for the first couple of meetings.  The CM and I were in Wood Badge together.  Even that familiarity didn't ease the tension from the Cub Parents initially.  Another unit is associated with the Army, so they are used to new people coming and going.  Even there, I was given a bit of an icy stare.  Now, they ask me for advice and are super friendly. 

Are you an OA Brother?  If so, contact the lodge and see if you can get on the work crew.  My lodge has a group of adults who do things around the camp that are too dangerous for youth.  It's a great way to get to know the adults in the council, many of whom have been around for a while.  

I definitely think the Commissioner route is the way to go.  Find out who your District Commissioner is and offer your services.  Mine had me interview with one of the ADCs over lunch.  He's a plankowner of the 160th SOAR and has quite an intimidating stare about him.  Great guy, but unsettling when he looks at you and doesn't say anything for a while.  

What you may see even at the district level is caution about commitment to the work. I felt like at first some were sure if I was just making a lot of noise, but would be gone in a few months. Once I “delivered” a few items, I felt more trusted. Different then being trusted by parents, but you could tell that some weren’t sure if I was truly committed if I agree to something.