Scouts BSA Position Patches - After an election, how ensure correct patches are on shoulders

My Troop conducts elections every 6 months.  October and April.  

We don't have a standard approach for when and how to hand out new patches.  Nor do we create any urgency on when to have them attached.  We do press to have all patches in place before going to Summer Camp, and before all Courts of Honor.  I'm interested in what other BOY LED Troops do to ensure Position Patch integrity.

Unknown.jpeg

1 hour ago, Troop212SM said:

I'm interested in what other BOY LED Troops do to ensure Position Patch integrity.

Well, I guess I won't share what our troop does since we are a girl troop.

• Upvote 2

We would hand out patches at the conclusion of the election.

If there is an issue with them not being sewed on in a timely manner, perhaps have that as part of the process:

1. Election.

2. Announcement of results.

3. Hand out (new) patches.

4. Sew on new patches.

If scouts cannot sew, then look at this as a fantastic learning opportunity. 

5. Some type of ceremony acknowledging new roles.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
41 minutes ago, Troop212SM said:

Apologies.  Should have said Scout Led Troops.

Correction accepted! Our advancement coordinator buys the patches and the SM gives them to the SPL to handout. I really like the @DuctTape's approach. We usually have a bit of a delay (a couple to a few weeks) before the new leaders take over. Elections in Dec and June for terms starting in Jan/July. 

5 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Well, I guess I won't share what our troop does since we are a girl troop.

Just remember, Venturing has been around 24 years, and folks still call them venture Scouts instead of Venturers, and venture crews instead of Venturing Crews. Girls troops have only been around 4 years.

Same as above.  We stockpile some patches.  SM gives them to SPL to give out at conclusion of elections or at the end of the meeting if the SPL makes any POR appointments mid-cycle (QM, scribe, etc.)

SPL/ASPLs are expected to hound the PORs to get patched up.

I've thought for a while that a "uniform maintenance night" would be a good meeting theme now and again.  Might suggest that at our annual planning.  Scouts really ought to be able to sew on any patch with a merrow border.