Shooting on Private Land- Archery

Hey everyone! I'm looking at the "Private Property Approval for Shooting Sports by Units, Districts, and Councils" because a unit wants to conduct an archery event on private land. After looking at the form, it doesn't imply that Archery is part of this process. I know the "Permission to Enter Upon and Use Land" would be required though. Thoughts? 

The form is, as you have noted, entirely focused on firearm use. It is, however, still required according to the Shooting Sports Manual (Appendix 9, p. 179):

"THE RANGE
An approved range can include:
BSA Range
Public Range
Private Range
Commercial range
Private Property Range.
Public, private property or commercial ranges must be
certified using the application found here:
Click here or type this address in browser
https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/shoot-
ing-sports/permission/"

So, as I read it, to use private land as an archery range, we have to have our Chief RSO come and inspect it and certify it safe for firearms use. <facepalm>

But wait! On the next page, the range for an "Open Shoot" is defined as:

"THE RANGE
An approved range can include:
BSA Range
Public or private commercial range
Private property or club
Ranges must be set up under leadership of the USA
Archery Level 1 Instructor."

Hurray! No approval required!

And then in the next Appendix (The Instructional Archery Experience), we're back to having an NRA CRSO inspect our range and make sure it's good for firearms.

It would be nice if BSA was a) consistent, and b) aware of what they're doing. The form is obviously for firearms, and someone has decided that the same regulations must apply for all the shooting sports. As it stands, either you have to have your Council's CRSO come and waste a bunch of time inspecting an archery range that has nothing to do with his expertise, or you can't use private property ranges, without going outside the rules.

How utterly dumb.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, OaklandAndy said:

Hey everyone! I'm looking at the "Private Property Approval for Shooting Sports by Units, Districts, and Councils" because a unit wants to conduct an archery event on private land. After looking at the form, it doesn't imply that Archery is part of this process. I know the "Permission to Enter Upon and Use Land" would be required though. Thoughts? 

Is the unit a Troop or a Pack?

If it is a Pack the question is moot, as Cubs can only do shooting sports at district or council events.  (one of the big draws at Cub Day Camp)

14 hours ago, Haukehaien said:

The form is, as you have noted, entirely focused on firearm use. It is, however, still required according to the Shooting Sports Manual (Appendix 9, p. 179):

So, as I read it, to use private land as an archery range, we have to have our Chief RSO come and inspect it and certify it safe for firearms use. <facepalm>

But wait! On the next page, the range for an "Open Shoot" is defined as:

Hurray! No approval required!

And then in the next Appendix (The Instructional Archery Experience), we're back to having an NRA CRSO inspect our range and make sure it's good for firearms.

It would be nice if BSA was a) consistent, and b) aware of what they're doing. The form is obviously for firearms, and someone has decided that the same regulations must apply for all the shooting sports. As it stands, either you have to have your Council's CRSO come and waste a bunch of time inspecting an archery range that has nothing to do with his expertise, or you can't use private property ranges, without going outside the rules.

How utterly dumb.

After reading both the Archery Shooting experience and Instructional Shooting, I don't see anything about a CRSO needing to approve. I'm reading it as a Lvl 1 Archery Instructor approves the range. 

5 minutes ago, OaklandAndy said:

After reading both the Archery Shooting experience and Instructional Shooting, I don't see anything about a CRSO needing to approve. I'm reading it as a Lvl 1 Archery Instructor approves the range. 

Current Guide to Shooting Sports (https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/outdoor program/pdf/30931_wb.pdf)
Appendix 9, p. 179 says:

"Public, private property or commercial ranges must be
certified using the application found here:
Click here or type this address in browser
https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/shoot-
ing-sports/permission/"

Following that link takes you to https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/shooting-sports/permission/
The page says:

"The Private Property Approval for Shooting Sports by Units, Districts, and Councils is a work sheet you must use to determine if a public or private land is suitable for use as a shooting sports range. Download the work sheet here."

The worksheet (which MUST be used) is https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor Program/Shooting Sports/430-065_WB.pdf

This sheet lists the procedures required to approve non-Council ranges, including private property:
"How does a council approve private property ranges for use by Scouting programs?
1. Appoint a shooting sports chairman and committee for the council with district representatives on
the committee.
2. Appoint a certified NRA chief range safety officer(s) to evaluate proposed private property ranges using
the attached forms. Once the forms are completed, they are presented to the Shooting Sports Committee
and Scout executive for approval and are to be used by local units, districts, or the council.
3. The range is approved for two years if there are no changes to the range site or approved standard
operating procedures.
4. Renewal is completed following the same process—reviewing the actual use, accidents, near misses,
and whether it is still needed to provide program for youth.
5. The council will keep a file in one location with all applications approved and/or not approved as part
of the council’s permanent records."

Note the requirement for the NRA CRSO.

It would make much more sense if they would simply make a form for archery ranges, based on the current firearms-based approval form, with appropriate changes. A USAA L1 or L2 instead of a Chief RSO, USAA Range rules poster, etc.

14 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Is the unit a Troop or a Pack?

If it is a Pack the question is moot, as Cubs can only do shooting sports at district or council events.  (one of the big draws at Cub Day Camp)

Often circumvented by having a member of council shooting sports committee (who has right certifications) oversee the event.  Thus, it becomes a council event that only one unit attends.