When are Patrol Yells given?

Since someone mentioned Woodbadge, think about how it was done there. First, provide material for each patrol to create their own patrol flag. Then encourage them to come up with a patrol yell to signal its time to gather up at that flag. Then encourage them to come up with a patrol cheer.  Make this a fun activity that everyone wants to participate in and reward them with a Baden Powell ribbon to hang on their flag pole.  That's one way to do it but the encouraging needs to come from the SPL and other troop officers.  Adults can still encourage and provide the necessary materials.  Then the adults could present the patrol with a spirit "spirit stick" as a patrol reward.  Thats one method and like everything, it takes some extra effort along with some practice from the adults so it doesn't look like they are interfering or taking over.  The grown folks can do the same thing to act the example.  Most importantly, MAKE THIS A FUN  AND STRESS FREE ACTIVITY!!!  If you don't, it ain't going to work 😃😃😃

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many suggestions, dare I say answers, have been given by our fellow scouters here.  A Scout Salute to them for being Helpful to another scouter. IMHO, time for the OP's scouts to experiment with

Oh my heavens,  sometimes its necessary to look into your own imagination and turn to your own ideas and close the books.  This yelling and cheering and patrol flags and names and ribbons are all simp

Hmmmmmmm........the answer to your question is yes.  You do allow them to figure out the knots themselves.  Older kids who have know how to tie knots should be instructing younger or less experienced

Another thing to mention is there is a difference between a Patrol Yell, and a Patrol Call. 

The yell is more of a cheer, something the patrol does to show spirit like when winning a competition.

The call, is a way to communicate, get each others attention, respond, etc...

These are both described in better detail with examples in the Patrol Leader's Handbook.

3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Now @Calion is just trolling.  No further responses needed for this one.  "Don't feed the trolls."

I’m sorry, what’s trolling? You said "Just like any other skill, the SPL discusses the gap at a PLC. They then ask an older scout from a different troop to come in and instruct or they ask an adult volunteer to come in an instruct. "

This implies that some older Scout from a different troop knows what to do to call for patrol yells. But I don’t know why an older Scout from a different troop will know something I don’t know, and that no one here seems to be able to answer. If you know who to look to for this answer, I’m all ears.

Edited by Calion
  • Downvote 1
5 hours ago, DuctTape said:

Another thing to mention is there is a difference between a Patrol Yell, and a Patrol Call. 

The yell is more of a cheer, something the patrol does to show spirit like when winning a competition.

The call, is a way to communicate, get each others attention, respond, etc...

These are both described in better detail with examples in the Patrol Leader's Handbook.

Could you point me to where this is discussed? My copy of the Patrol Leader’s Handbook says:

YOUR PATROL’S YELL AND SONG

Go to any Scouting event and you may hear the shrill cry of the Eagle Patrol, the growl of the Grizzly Patrol, and the hoot of the Owl Patrol. Every patrol should have a yell. Make yours short, snappy, and somehow related to the name and identity of the patrol. Use the patrol yell to announce to the other patrols that your patrol is ready to go, is present during a troop assembly, or has done well during a patrol game.

How about a patrol song or chant? Draw on the creative powers of the patrol members to come up with new words to an old song or to invent a short, catchy chant that describes your patrol’s strengths.

• Downvote 1
12 hours ago, Mrjeff said:

Then encourage them to come up with a patrol cheer.

When and how do they give the patrol cheer?

On 4/24/2023 at 2:39 PM, InquisitiveScouter said:

By doing it.

“Scoutmaster, how do you tie a bowline knot?”

“By tying it."

• Downvote 1
21 minutes ago, Calion said:

I’m sorry, what’s trolling? You said "Just like any other skill, the SPL discusses the gap at a PLC. They then ask an older scout from a different troop to come in and instruct or they ask an adult volunteer to come in an instruct. "

This implies that some older Scout from a different troop knows what to do to call for patrol yells. But I don’t know why an older Scout from a different troop will know something I don’t know, and that no one here seems to be able to answer. If you know who to look to for this answer, I’m all ears.

Meeting opening- after Pledge is said (add in whatever works for your Troop after Pledge- recite Scout Law, Outdoor Code, etc.):

SPL: Time for rollcall- Bacon Ninja Patrol?

BN Patrol Leader: Bacon Ninja Patrol all present or accounted for [salutes SPL]

Bacon Ninja Patrol members [in unison]: Sizzle-sizzle- pow!

SPL: Screaming Owl Patrol?

SO Patrol Leader: Screaming Owl Patrol all present or accounted for [salutes SPL]

Screaming Owl Patrol members [in unison]: Who! Who!

Our troop has done it this way for years, no prompt is needed for the Patrol Yell, but the SPL could have a prompt to ask after the PL salutes them "Patrol yell" as a cue.

Edited by HashTagScouts
  • Thanks 2
On 4/24/2023 at 2:58 PM, mrjohns2 said:

What are you really getting at? 

I'm asking just what the SPL should say or do to indicate that patrols should give their yells. This is the question I’ve been asking from the beginning, and no one has attempted to answer it.

The patrols aren’t just going to do it randomly. Indeed, it would be disruptive and disrespectful if they did. So the SPL has to do something to have the patrols give their patrol yells during opening ceremony.

• Downvote 1
23 hours ago, Mrjeff said:

Well, somebody dropped the ball somewhere if the older kids can't tie knots.

Someone has dropped the ball. The older kids don’t know how to call for patrol yells.

• Downvote 1
22 hours ago, HashTagScouts said:

I was commenting on knots

Yes, and what I said was "Shall we have Scouts figure out how to tie knots without instruction as well?” So whatever your “knots” answer is, it should also apply to how the SPL should call for yells.

At meeting opening, when the PL answers the SPL on roll call, the patrol just gives their patrol yell. 

Well, no, they don’t. Why would they do so when the SPL has in no way indicated that they it is time to so so?

And, wait, roll call? What roll call?

• Downvote 1
22 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Yes. Ok? You still seem to be getting at something that you aren’t saying. I guess you don’t wish to share your alternative intent. 

I’m having a very difficult time believing that you’re serious here. You’re saying that, at Wood Badge, the SPL stands in front of the formation and says the literal words “all patrols, when reporting to a station, the PL confirms everyone is there and has the patrol give the patrol yell”? Can you really imagine anyone saying that sentence out loud in front of a formation?

Are you the SM? Your desire for chapter and verse on these items may never be quenched. Being a SM isn’t so exact.

Obviously there’s no chapter and verse here. I’m just asking what others do. 

• Downvote 1
22 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

It has been said again and again and again. 

How ever the SPL wants. 

And the SPL isn’t doing it, even though I have asked him to (and he has agreed to) several times. My suspicion is that the reason may be that he doesn’t know how. Well, it occurs to me that I don’t either. So I’m asking what other SPLs do.

• Downvote 1
21 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

no prompt is needed for the Patrol Yell

Well, no, there certainly is a prompt: You’ve listed it. But I didn’t even know patrol roll-calls were a thing. It’s not mentioned at https://troopresources.scouting.org/openings/. This sounds like a great idea; I’ll have to look into it. Is there any other reference for this, or is it just your troop practice?

Edited by Calion

The patrol yell is covered with sufficient details in the Scout Handbook. It is also covered in the PL Handbook. It is also covered in the SPL Handbook. It is also covered in the Troop Leader Guidebook. 

Have you read those? Has your SPL?

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1