When are Patrol Yells given?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many suggestions, dare I say answers, have been given by our fellow scouters here.  A Scout Salute to them for being Helpful to another scouter. IMHO, time for the OP's scouts to experiment with

Oh my heavens,  sometimes its necessary to look into your own imagination and turn to your own ideas and close the books.  This yelling and cheering and patrol flags and names and ribbons are all simp

Hmmmmmmm........the answer to your question is yes.  You do allow them to figure out the knots themselves.  Older kids who have know how to tie knots should be instructing younger or less experienced

On 4/22/2023 at 9:12 PM, qwazse said:

For the record, I learned how to tie most of my knots from the handbook.

Okay, so are you saying that procedures for the SPL to call for patrol yells are in the handbook?

3 minutes ago, Calion said:

Okay, so are you saying that procedures for the SPL to call for patrol yells are in the handbook?

Dude. What are you getting at? Some of it may be. A few posts back someone gave you a ton of references. A SM can use these and work with the SPL. 

You seem to be getting at something none of us here are getting. 

Are you trying to find an indisputable reference to make the SPL comply?  I don’t know think you’ll find it. 

What are you really getting at? 

• Downvote 1
On 4/21/2023 at 7:13 PM, Mrjeff said:

You do allow them to figure out the knots themselves.  Older kids who have know how to tie knots should be instructing younger or less experienced kids how to do things.  

And if no older Scouts know how to tie knots?

On 4/21/2023 at 6:56 PM, MattR said:

My suggestion is ask the SPL to watch you while you walk up to the troop and ask them what time it is ... which eventually leads to a really loud song.

Sorry, what?

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, Calion said:

On 4/21/2023 at 6:56 PM, MattR said:

Just like any other skill, the SPL discusses the gap at a PLC. They then ask an older scout from a different troop to come in and instruct or they ask an adult volunteer to come in an instruct. 

This is true for all advancement. 

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, Calion said:

Cool. Excellent idea. Just how?

The SPL says “all patrols, when reporting to a station, the PL confirms everyone is there and has the patrol give the patrol yell”. 

Very simple. 

In scouts, and life, this is pretty far down on the list. 

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Just like any other skill, the SPL discusses the gap at a PLC. They then ask an older scout from a different troop to come in and instruct or they ask an adult volunteer to come in an instruct. 

Okay, who knows just what the SPL should do to call for patrol yells?

I don’t understand what the confusion here is. I asked two questions: When should patrol yells be given, and how they should be called for. The first question has been largely answered. No one has even attempted to answer the second question. 

• Downvote 2
8 minutes ago, Calion said:

Sorry, what?

Nearly everything that is needed for rank advancement is contained in their handbook. There are also plenty of resources on the web. Don't just start having an adult teaching ten of them, challenge 2-3 of them to learn, and then have them come back and teach the others.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

The SPL says “all patrols, when reporting to a station, the PL confirms everyone is there and has the patrol give the patrol yell”. 

Are you serious? At Wood Badge, the SPL stands in front of the formation and says,  “all patrols, when reporting to a station, the PL confirms everyone is there and has the patrol give the patrol yell”?

5 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

In scouts, and life, this is pretty far down on the list. 

People here seem to think that patrols giving patrol yells are at least somewhat important.

1 minute ago, HashTagScouts said:

Nearly everything that is needed for rank advancement is contained in their handbook. There are also plenty of resources on the web. Don't just start having an adult teaching ten of them, challenge 2-3 of them to learn, and then have them come back and teach the others.

Awesome. Could you reference the page number in the Handbook that tells just when and how patrols give patrol yells? Or a Web page that does the same?

• Downvote 2
1 hour ago, Calion said:

Cool! How is that done?

The Patrols stand around the flag pole area and, in turn , give the cheer and (gesture) or whatever they have created. Woodbadge is the ultimate adult Scout training, and if done right, the participants "get into it" and  have fun , along with having many "aha ! "" moments.   Owl Patrol: Who, Who, Who wants to know??? Buffalo:  KATANKAH ! (with horns).... etc.... 

The Patrols are , thru the training, given projects to accomplish and should (SHOULD )  present the project with the cheer, introducing their (THEIR) Patrol.

Edited by SSScout
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Calion said:

Are you serious? At Wood Badge, the SPL stands in front of the formation and says,  “all patrols, when reporting to a station, the PL confirms everyone is there and has the patrol give the patrol yell”?

People here seem to think that patrols giving patrol yells are at least somewhat important.

Awesome. Could you reference the page number in the Handbook that tells just when and how patrols give patrol yells? Or a Web page that does the same?

I was commenting on knots.

As far as patrol all, it is nothing more than a "whoop". Not sure why this has been such a long thread on something simple. At meeting opening, when the PL answers the SPL on roll call, the patrol just gives their patrol yell. That's it- a five second "whoop" from the patrol members.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Calion said:

Yes. Ok? You still seem to be getting at something that you aren’t saying. I guess you don’t wish to share your alternative intent. 

Are you the SM? Your desire for chapter and verse on these items may never be quenched. Being a SM isn’t so exact. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1