When are Patrol Yells given?

Every patrol is supposed to have a patrol yell. Great! But when are they actually used? When does the patrol use its patrol yell? It’s not much use if it’s never used.. 

I have been trying to get the SPL to have the patrols give their patrol yells during opening ceremony, but he’s never yet done it, perhaps because he doesn’t know exactly when or how to have them do so. Well, I don’t either. 

is there any official or unofficial guidance on this subject?

Edited by Calion
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many suggestions, dare I say answers, have been given by our fellow scouters here.  A Scout Salute to them for being Helpful to another scouter. IMHO, time for the OP's scouts to experiment with

Oh my heavens,  sometimes its necessary to look into your own imagination and turn to your own ideas and close the books.  This yelling and cheering and patrol flags and names and ribbons are all simp

Hmmmmmmm........the answer to your question is yes.  You do allow them to figure out the knots themselves.  Older kids who have know how to tie knots should be instructing younger or less experienced

At camporees, where patrols are rotating from activity to activity as a patrol, the person running the activity might have the patrol give its yell during introductions before starting the activity.  For the sake of spirit-building.  Generally, the patrol will give its yell at each activity during the day.

At summer camp, when camp is formed up before meals at the dining hall, each troop will be asked to give a troop yell.  Maybe at breakfast and lunch, but certainly at the evening meal.  The Camp Director or Assistant Camp Director generally is the Master of Ceremonies for such gatherings.  (Many troops seem to get caught off guard on Sunday night that it is expected to have a yell...so Be Prepared.)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The yells can be used whenever a troop assembles.  I've seen it routinely as mentioned above and to hold roll call.   At opening campfires, flagraising gatherings, anytime you need the scouts to settle down and get their attention.  

At Woodbadge after flag call, pawe always asked if there were any... and they responded with their patrol critter's yell.

• Like 1

They should be a part of every roll call — be it meeting or activity.

Our troop is finding it really hard to inculcate in our scouts. That’s partly because we present colors very first, and so many scouts are still drifting in. I would rather scouts have a 10-15 minute activity before gathering for colors. But, institutional inertia is harder to correct than the course of the Queen Mary.

Edited by qwazse
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sic Gloria Mundi...

Scouts in chairs, "assume LOUNGE position",  no neckers, shorts of every color,  Scout Uni shirt buttoned crooked, untucked,  might remember the Scout Promise, Conservation Pledge, Scout Law....

Flag ceremony?  How many stars on the flag?  True story from at least now sixteen  years ago:::   My son chose to join the Troop of my yooth.  They still were very active, outdoorsy Troop, he did well, served in all the Leadership positions....   Made Eagle....   One night, early in his career, I stood in the back of the hall with the other parents and watched the opening ceremony.  Scouts were attentive, uniformed well. Flags were marched in,  pledges recited, flags posted.  Something attracted my attention, and after the meeting, I went and checked the US flag. IT HAD FORTY EIGHT STARS>>    This was the flag that had been in use when I WAS A SCOUT !   And I graduated from the Troop in 1966 !    I spoke to the Scoutmaster, we had a laugh about it.   The flag was replaced with an up to date 50 star flag, there was some "education" and the 48 star one was subsequently retired appropriately at a later event.  And yes, I realized that that wasn't corrected by the Troop when I was there either. ( You do the math).

Last thursday's Troop Meeting (I am a Commisher),  they let me make a small talk about this episode. None of the present Scouts knew my son, but knew me by reputation.  NONE of them could say what the last two stars represented. Or when....  I encouraged them to find out. 

• Like 2

My impression is that patrol yells were the original way for a PL to get his patrol to form up. A patrol cheer is completely different and used when the patrol is already together.

• Upvote 1

Basically anytime the patrol name is called out is when the patrol yell should be used.

For example: when the SPL calls on a PL he should also tack on the patrol name ; and then the patrol would yell whatever they're yell is. It would be an esprits de corps moment that also could just be fellowship/horsing around. Think a scenario like the following:

SPL: "PL John Smith from the Rocket Patrol is going to lead todays rank advancement and teach the square knot."
Rocket Patrol: "To the moon!"

When the esprit de corps gets built up in the troop you will have some slightly rude moments as the patrol will start to immediately yell their yell when someone says the patrol name. 

You have to build the culture to include those cues. Also helps if every patrol has a patrol yell as it will become a competition as to who can yell it the loudest.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Tron said:

Also helps if every patrol has a patrol yell

If they don't have a yell, then they are not a patrol.  It is part of the Patrol Method.

Scout Handbook, page 26:

"Patrols have yells, too.  If your patrol is named for an animal, you can use that animal's sound - the howl of a wolf, for example, or the hoot of an howl.  Or your patrol might decide on some other shout that identifies it.  Members can give the patrol yell whenever they do well in a troop competition or reach an important goal, and even when they're ready to chow down on a camp meal."

(Reading between the lines... not optional...)

Scout rank requirements:

3b. Become familiar with your patrol name, emblem, flag, and yell. Explain how these items create patrol spirit.

National Honor Patrol Award requirements:

1. Have a patrol name, flag, and yell. Put the patrol design on equipment and use the patrol yell. Keep patrol records up-to-date.

This is the way.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, MattR said:

My impression is that patrol yells were the original way for a PL to get his patrol to form up. A patrol cheer is completely different and used when the patrol is already together.

Scouts BSA Handbook: "Patrols have yells, too. If your patrol is named for an animal, you can use that animal’s sound—the howl of a wolf, for example, or the hoot of an owl. Or your patrol might decide on some other shout that identifies it. Members can give the patrol yell whenever they do well in a troop competition or reach an important goal, and even when they’re ready to chow down on a camp meal."

Okay, these are good ideas, but when the patrols give their yells when forming up, just when and how do they do it? What does the SPL say to trigger these yells? Are they all done at the same time?

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Calion said:

Okay, these are good ideas, but when the patrols give their yells when forming up, just when and how do they do it? What does the SPL say to trigger these yells? Are they all done at the same time?

YES!  To all the above, and more!

Would you believe I actually had a professional Scouter once tell me I had "too much Scout spirit"???   Could have knocked me over with a feather 😜 

• Downvote 1