Unregistered Leaders

How can one be "trained" but not registered?  Do they have a MyScouting account?  Did they print off a completion certificate?  How do we know they "successfully" completed it?  I doubt BSA would stand behind someone without proper proof of training.  Like auditing a college course without paying tuition....no credit given.

2 hours ago, scoutldr said:

How do we know they "successfully" completed it? 

Ask them for the certificate. You don't need to be registered in order to have a myscouting account. Thats what I found on scouting.org. You might even have to take the training before you can register, but I'm not sure. The website describes one process as create an account, take the course, submit the certificate with your registration. So, skip the last step.

My reason for being difficult is I'd rather see all of the parents take the training then just the adults that work with the scouts. Those parents don't need to register.

Yes, you can take YPT training without being a registered Scouter in any position. Our council, at least, requires it be completed before you are allowed to register as an adult. We have always required adults using the 72 hour rule to complete it, and ask our drivers too, as well. We encourage all parents to take it, but, you know...

• Upvote 1

the real oxymoron here the phrase unregistered leader as if they are not registered at some level they are not a scout leader.

so to lost application until a person showed up with a number and ypt on file they are not a registered leader as they must clear a background checks sorry the office is so lazy or careless. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, fred8033 said:

Registration quirks aside, my point is claiming someone is YPT trained but not registered is a contradiction.

We encourage all of our parents to take YPT.  We're not registering them all, but having them understand the YP requirements of the BSA is extremely helpful in having them understand how the unit operates and why somethings may or may not happen.  For example, when we have to cancel an outing due to lack of registered leaders.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, MattR said:

anything else that registration with the bsa would cover?

Many different background checks in the world. Also, the BSA will be able to track bad actors even if they change location. Not the best track record in the past, but this is the goal. 

17 hours ago, Armymutt said:

We encourage all of our parents to take YPT.  We're not registering them all, but having them understand the YP requirements of the BSA is extremely helpful in having them understand how the unit operates and why somethings may or may not happen.  For example, when we have to cancel an outing due to lack of registered leaders.

We also encourage all our parents take YPT so they understand the rules as laid out, both to govern their own behavior and as a backstop on others'.  Of course not everyone takes us up on it, which is fine, but we do REQUIRE that anyone camping with us complete the training.  I know that unregistered adults on campouts will soon be a thing of the past, and I understand the arguments for and against.  For us, until the rules change, we're concerned primarily with the behaviors YPT lays out.  A background check will weed out only those who have been convicted of malfeasance, the training helps guard the against the more negligent actions.

• Upvote 3
On 4/28/2023 at 3:29 PM, Armymutt said:

Interesting how this becomes a point of discussion.

My point is someone who works with scouts, is not registered; and claims they are YPT trained is missing a fundamental key element of YPT; the registration and background check.  It's an oxymoron and a sign the system has failed.  Perhaps the registration never went thru.  Perhaps a snafu. 

Fundamentally, someone didn't learn or worse "accept" a key point of YPT.  

Edited by fred8033

In prior years (five-ish years ago, give or take), my council required Cub Scout Day Camp "walkers" (an adult whose job was to walk around with a provisional den, typically the once including their kid, and make sure no one wandered off) to have a certificate of YPT completion, but did not requre them to be registered with any unit.  But I haven't looked at the fine print of those policies for the current year yet.

My son's troop already had a policy that any adult wishing to attend more than 72 hours of cumulative camping time had to be registered with the BSA (hence also YPT trained), even before this year's coming changes.

• Upvote 1