Its unfortunate that politics is in Scouting. For the past two years we have had our Arrow of Light Scouts not move up into our Troop. This is very frustrating because we help them through out the year. Looking for advice to mend fences and recruiting ideas.

Thank You 

Welcome to the forum, @skop.

"politics in scouting" is a really loaded term. I can imagine everything from drama to actual politics.

My suggestion for mending relationships is to first remove the "politics" from the vocabulary. Also ask them what you did that offended them. Listen and apologize. Even if it's nothing you did. How they clear their conscience is their business so don't expect an apology from them.

Scouts have to want to join your troop; you cannot force them or play politics to get them to join your troop. If all of the AOLs from your associated pack went elsewhere 2 years in a row that is a red flag that there is a problem in your troop and the scouts/scout families view moving to a new CO as the most appropriate course of action. 

When is the last time your troop leadership conducted a SWOT analysis?

Are they going to other troops? If yes, then look at what they are offering that you are not. Sometimes it's just quirks of personalities of the kids, or if you have an older scout in your troop that was known to bully younger kids when he was in cubs, that could be a possible issue. We have several good troops in our area, and I encourage cubs and their parents to join the one that fits them best. I don't take offense at all if they don't join my unit.

We recently had a bit of a shuffle in our area when a medium sized troop lost a few scouts to other units because a group of parents weren't happy with the troop's adult leadership. If you see stuff like that going on, then it is time for a good, honest look inward.