Native American Survey

We may need to be careful to not equate understanding cultura elements of various NA groups, with the inuendo of of Cultural Appropriation.  Too many, it seems to me, jump overboard if even a mention of NA history or culture is put into discussion.  Many of our issues in todays society seem to be overreactions to simple knowledge of others and their thoughts and histories.  And often, that accusation is aimed specifically at the WAS parts of our society.  Again, just my opininion.  

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also find the merger of scouting honor society and Native American historical society to be a poor fit. I can see why it worked in the past but imo it just doesn’t any more.   were I in ch

I do  not mean this as an insult, but there is nothing in my own personal experience with Scouting (I joined in 1975) that leads me to believe that BSA is the right organization to handle a sensitive

Regarding BSA’s track record of surveys with forgone conclusions, a recent conversation with a pro who is active in O/A leads me to believe that we may add this questionnaire to that list.

Posted Images

23 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

I do not yet understand Native American objections

I didn't really understand this either when I first heard of it. I googled it and found a number of blogs, papers, articles, and videos of Indians from various nations sharing their opinions on this. You can be a digital fly on the wall and listen to what they're saying.

I didn't agree with everything I read and heard but that's to be expected. But I understand where they're coming from much better now.

• Upvote 1

Regarding BSA’s track record of surveys with forgone conclusions, a recent conversation with a pro who is active in O/A leads me to believe that we may add this questionnaire to that list.

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, qwazse said:

[sarcasm on] You don't say! [sarcasm off].

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NBC News: Long accused of Indigenous misappropriation, Boy Scouts ask if it’s time to change

In a recent email survey taken by 35,000 current and former members, the national organization asked a broad range of questions about what changes — if any — should be made to its usage and portrayal of Native American imagery, ceremonies and rituals.

...The survey’s results (from 20 questions) are not yet available but will be released publicly when they are, a spokesman for the organization said in a statement. 

...Despite the range of the survey’s possible answers, the organization said in a statement to NBC News that “there are no plans to eliminate Native American traditions from the BSA program.”

...The organization routinely surveys members, although it has been years since it sent out a survey focused solely on the treatment of Native American culture and traditions, according to the statement. 

Much more at source link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/native-american-appropriation-boy-scouts-rcna78373

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

...The survey’s results (from 20 questions) are not yet available but will be released publicly when they are, a spokesman for the organization said in a statement. 

I will believe it when I see it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
On 4/20/2023 at 4:14 AM, Mrjeff said:

Or maybe they got answers to the questions that they expect and maybe those answers were so overwhelming that they have to reevaluate their thinking!

If the answers go against their thinking, they will ignore the results. Look at Instapalms are the best example of National ignoring the volunteers polled.