Native American Survey

Watch your email inbox... Survey is starting to make the rounds.

Dear Scouters,

The BSA continuously evaluates the relevance of its program to ensure that it remains engaging for youth and families throughout the country. Native American traditions have been a part of the BSA program, particularly within the Order of the Arrow, for more than a century. As we move forward, BSA is conducting a broad assessment of what role those traditions should play in the future. 

We’d like you to take the attached survey to provide your perspective on this important issue. No related decisions have been made. The BSA is in the early stages of assessing the issues and your responses will be used as part of that assessment. 

The survey will take approximatly 5 minutes to complete.  

Thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions about the survey, please contact David Verbraska, BSA’s Executive Vice President, Chief Communications and Marketing Officer. 

Yours in Scouting,

Roger Mosby

BSA President and CEO

Chief Scout Executive

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also find the merger of scouting honor society and Native American historical society to be a poor fit. I can see why it worked in the past but imo it just doesn’t any more.   were I in ch

I do  not mean this as an insult, but there is nothing in my own personal experience with Scouting (I joined in 1975) that leads me to believe that BSA is the right organization to handle a sensitive

Regarding BSA’s track record of surveys with forgone conclusions, a recent conversation with a pro who is active in O/A leads me to believe that we may add this questionnaire to that list.

Posted Images

It was in my inbox when I got home from Roundtable last night.  Not sure if this is going out to every registered adult leader, every OA member, or just a random selection.  I did see that the link is specifically for the addressee and will not let you us it a second time, as it would not let my OA member scout respond.  I will have him monitor his email to see if it is being sent to any youth members.

30 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

It was in my inbox when I got home from Roundtable last night.  Not sure if this is going out to every registered adult leader, every OA member, or just a random selection.  I did see that the link is specifically for the addressee and will not let you us it a second time, as it would not let my OA member scout respond.  I will have him monitor his email to see if it is being sent to any youth members.

I am not an active OA member but received the survey.  Questions were about OA, Indian Lore MB, camp names, council names, any and all NA usage.  

1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

I did see that the link is specifically for the addressee and will not let you us it a second time, as it would not let my OA member scout respond.  I will have him monitor his email to see if it is being sent to any youth members.

My son and I both received it, but mine went to my spam folder (and his didn't).

I received and responded and am glad they are sending out a survey but question how this will help steer the initiative and why of all that could be done this is even on the docket.  The OA has been extremely respectful of native American culture and most lodges have a relationship with local tribe nations.  I have seen some lodges still use full head dress and traditional clothing, while others are not using any Indian regalia whatsoever.  I  prefer what I grew up with  which is the respectful use of full Indian clothing and accessories.  I also miss face paint as I was on the ceremony and dance teams  but that is another battle.  

The story of the OA is a theatrical production, it should reflect appropriate costuming,  what is next a  civil war movie with not confederate uniforms or flags? If this is a real issue and not just the BSA trying to  solve a problem that does not exist why not bring in a group of native Americans to provide their feedback.

Of course my favorite aspect of  this is the title of the executive who sent out a survey surrounding  Scout usage of and respect for Native American culture - Chief Scout Executive

Rumor mongering, but supposedly the purpose of the survey is to decide how to roll out the incoming changes. IE, should the BSA try to work with official tribes to build something appropriate or mostly ditch the themes. But regardless the changes are coming.

1 hour ago, EaglePanther said:

Of course my favorite aspect of  this is the title of the executive who sent out a survey surrounding  Scout usage of and respect for Native American culture - Chief Scout Executive

LOL, "Chief" is an English word.  And there are/were tribal chiefs (chieftains) around the world in multiple countries/lands throughout history.  It is not "appropriation" to use that word.

The etymology is French...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

LOL, "Chief" is an English word.  And there are/were tribal chiefs (chieftains) around the world in multiple countries/lands throughout history.  It is not "appropriation" to use that word.

The etymology is French...

Very good point.  Why Are Indigenous Leaders Called Chiefs? (ictinc.ca)  

Not all OA lodges have close ties with NA tribes ... in fact, from what I can see, most do not.  Many areas have tribes that were kicked out and pushed into Oklahoma.  Just look at the map of Indian reservations link.  Most of the east coast has very small or nonexistent reservations.  How would an OA lodge in Pennsylvania have a relationship with a tribe?  Head West and there are many more options.  Florida has some options as well.  

Based on the survey questions ... I highly doubt no changes are coming.  My rough guess is they are considering 3 paths:

Path A ... Simply give up on NA references & usage ... just move on.

Path B ... Engage with NA community to strengthen the bond.  That will likely mean eliminating some NA aspects of the program and possibly bringing in others.

Path C ... minimal changes (for example, eliminating council non approved NA programs, but leaving in National programs untouched)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, malraux said:

Rumor mongering, but supposedly the purpose of the survey is to decide how to roll out the incoming changes. IE, should the BSA try to work with official tribes to build something appropriate or mostly ditch the themes. But regardless the changes are coming.

Missed this comment.  Based on the questions it really does seem like these are the two paths.  Ditch the themes completely or meet with tribal leaders to see if something can be worked out.  That could still lead to major changes.  I don't expect status quo will remain.

12 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Most of the east coast has very small or nonexistent reservations.  How would an OA lodge in Pennsylvania have a relationship with a tribe?  Head West and there are many more options.  Florida has some options as well. 

There are a lot of State Recognized tribes, and some do have relationships. I know at one time the Houma of Louisiana had members on Chilantakoba Lodge's executive board.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Based on the survey questions ... I highly doubt no changes are coming.  My rough guess is they are considering 3 paths:

Path A ... Simply give up on NA references & usage ... just move on.

THIS IS WHAT I AM EXPECTING. (EMPHASIS)

Path B ... Engage with NA community to strengthen the bond.  That will likely mean eliminating some NA aspects of the program and possibly bringing in others.

This is currently in place, and has been for a time, but is not working.

Path C ... minimal changes (for example, eliminating council non approved NA programs, but leaving in National programs untouched)

Doubtful.

As someone on FB stated, the decision has been made, and the survey is a figleaf

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

...  How would an OA lodge in Pennsylvania have a relationship with a tribe?  ...

Here in Western PA one camp maintains the the pow-wow grounds for a tribe, who in turn provide cultural opportunities for the boys in camp.

Members of the Lenni Lenape regularly provide guidance on regalia.

I'll let Pennsylvanians on the other side of the Appalachians provide examples of their interactions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

Missed this comment.  Based on the questions it really does seem like these are the two paths.  Ditch the themes completely or meet with tribal leaders to see if something can be worked out.  That could still lead to major changes.  I don't expect status quo will remain.

I personally am ok with either path, even if I preference for one of them. A lot of the current approaches seems to very ad hoc instead of routinized. That might work for past times, but now one council or lodge being inappropriate can show up on YouTube and give the whole organization a black eye (micosay looking at you)

• Upvote 2