Transportation liability insurance

(Please re-post to the appropriate section if needed.)

My troop has a crew of eight flying to Sea Base this summer and we reserved a 12-passenager van to go sightseeing and travel to Sea Base, for passengers and luggage. The G2SS Transportation section said "Any vehicle designed to carry ten or more passengers should have automobile liability insurance limit of 1,000,000."

Does anyone have experience renting a 12+ passenger van who can tell me how they purchase their insurance? Do you up your own auto liability insurance to 1,000,000 for the duration of the trip or buy through the rental car company?

TIA

8 hours ago, mncaa said:

(Please re-post to the appropriate section if needed.)

My troop has a crew of eight flying to Sea Base this summer and we reserved a 12-passenager van to go sightseeing and travel to Sea Base, for passengers and luggage. The G2SS Transportation section said "Any vehicle designed to carry ten or more passengers should have automobile liability insurance limit of 1,000,000."

Does anyone have experience renting a 12+ passenger van who can tell me how they purchase their insurance? Do you up your own auto liability insurance to 1,000,000 for the duration of the trip or buy through the rental car company?

TIA

We drivers upped our personal liability. It didn’t cost very much back then. 

Barry

• Upvote 1

There's more than one way to skin a cat...

Among those ways...

1.  You can call your insurance company and get a temporary policy increase.  Make sure you activate it before driving the van, and make sure you remove it after coming home.  That will keep costs down.

(NOTE:  make sure you look at your policy to verify you are covered by your primary policy while you are driving a rental car.  Bring a copy of your insurance cards with you!!  Some states allow you to use a digital copy (a file or picture of the card on your smartphone).  Be Prepared!  Bring both paper and digital.)

2.  The rental car company may offer Supplemental Liability Protection (SLP).  Call them to see if they do, and at what limits.  (NOTE:  SLP means your own insurance pays primary for liability!!  If your primary policy does not cover you in a rental, you have a more complex problem to solve.)

3.  If you rent the van with your personal credit card, your card may provide some additional insurance protections.  Obviously, this is wildly variable depending on the card...

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/rental-car-insurance/#does-my-credit-card-offer-rental-car-insurance

Good luck researching your options!

Edited by InquisitiveScouter