"Christmas with the Kranks"

I just saw "Christmas with the Kranks", which is based on the book, "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham.

Having read the book, I would say the movie follows the story fairly closely, but the movie does throw in a sub-plot that the book doesn't have, and I'm not sure it really does much to advance the main story.

In any event, the movie changes the Boy Scouts into Cub Scouts, and while the Scouts are fairly sympathetic in their first appearance, they are much less so in the second. Still, because the boys wear Cub Scout uniforms (and wear them correctly, as far as I could tell), this might make a fun outing for a den meeting. I'm sure your boys will love seeing Cub Scouts on the big screen, and will laugh along with everyone else at the rest of the story.

This is a great family picture -- my own family couldn't decide if the film was destined to achieve "Christmas Classic" status (along the lines of "A Christmas Story", for example), but its a nice way to get into the Christmas spirit, even if it isn't quite Thanksgiving yet!

Fred G.

Thanks for the 2 thumbs up.

They were wearing real Cub Scout uniforms?? I seem to recall that the BSA had refused to allow its official licensed uniforms to be used for commercial purposes sometime in the 1970s or 80s, unless they had some input rights to the script. I though Disney's Follow Me Boys was the last movie to portray the real uniforms.

WWBPD

Deut. 23:13

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, I saw the upcoming attractions, and YES there were real CUBS in Official uniforms. Good advertisment for the program!

There is also a movie about a pine wood derby coming out sometime soon as well, with scouts in official unifroms too! Could this be a trend...hope so!

YIS

Yes, as far as I could tell, they were real Cub Scout uniforms; the Bear Cub had the light blue cap & neckerchief; the Wolf Cub had the yellow cap & necketchief.

The Cubmaster was even wearing the green cap with red panel. I also saw another Scouter wearing the "Smokie the Bear" hat that currently costs more than the gold in Fort Knox!

Fred G.