Scout under doctors care for Autism issues, including emotional and who is in the extended program for Challenged youth has meltdown due to meds issue and harms an adult counselor.

The young man who had never exhibited this kind of behavior and is in the extended program for youth/adults has been balanced and deemed no longer a danger.  But the local council has refused to discuss his being put into the Lone Scout Program, or any program actually and the local SE has demonized him.  We are not able to get info on where to go above the council, and we have been told the decisiion is that of the SE as he deems fit.  When asked who we could appeal to he refuses us any info, and we have not found links on the net.  Help, if possible.  

@skeptic  Wishing you the best.  It's not easy.  I fall on both sides of this.  A lone scout has access to council camps and activities.  If they were previously a concern, how does the council not know they will be a concern again.  My heart goes out to these scouts.  

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, fred8033 said:

@skeptic  Wishing you the best.  It's not easy.  I fall on both sides of this.  A lone scout has access to council camps and activities.  If they were previously a concern, how does the council not know they will be a concern again.  My heart goes out to these scouts.  

I would agree.  We are all volunteers and Scouts should be welcoming.  That being said, this is the concern - Challenged youth has meltdown due to meds issue and harms an adult counselor.  The SE is concerned about liability, if the Scout has harmed an adult counselor, in a camp or program setting, what safeguards are in place.

As noted, even if admitted into a Lone Scout program they Scout could register for a provisional troop at summer camp, or for a merit badge event.  Not sure there is a good solution here and in many cases, the SE may not be the bad person.  In this case there may not be a bad person.

• Upvote 2