How to remove UAC role from an adult leader

My troop has an adult leader ASM/MC/UAC that refuses to relinquish his duties as UAC.  Currently we have 4 Scouters doing advancement and this fella has been self-proclaiming himself as the sole advancement authority despite constant errors, failures to timely enter advancements, losing MB credentials, no CSV imports, and worst of all, huge gaps in recording advancements that has cost multiple scouts valuable time in achieving their goals despite having done all the work and meeting all the req's.  He's to the point now where he's confrontational about it with other Scouters and even going to council claiming that other UAC entries were invalid and need to be changed per his own self-proclaimed expertness.  One of his beefs is an advancement entry going all the way back to 2022.  An entry that he, himself never made and had to be painfully researched and back-dated by other leaders/MC's/UAC's.  What authority as COR do I have to pull his UAC credentials.  Does it have to be a Key3 consensus, or a committee thing?  My CC doesn't want to "lose him" and insists that if we drop him as UAC, he'll leave.  Am I missing something, or is that a HUGE indication of the type of person this guy is.  My standing has always been very simple, "if you're not here for the boys, you don't need to be here".  He's obviously in this for himself and it's hurting our Troop.  Please help !  You all have been an amazing resource for me and I continue to thank you for your guidance.  

As COR, you are the final word. Only person who can overrule you is the Institutional Head. I've seen that happen only 1 time in 40 years.

Forgot to add, be prepared to lose them. And if they are causing problems, it may be  good thing.

• Upvote 4

As the COR, you have the authority to do what ever is best for the CO. Actually, you are just a representative of the authority of the CO, but 95 % of the time, the authority gives you all the decision rights, especially when you are this involved.

The real issue is the personal conflict. And I know it may not seem personal to you, but if the troop feels they need him and you don't, and you want to change his responsibilities, then it is personal. This really comes under "Can't Everyone Just Get Along?". Many of us here would call this a coffee moment, which mainly is a friendly conversation over coffee (and cookies, I really like cookies), where the two of you can discuss a solution. In reality, you have the authority as the COR to lay down the law. But, in the Friendly, Courteous, Kind way, you're two equals trying to come to a solution. Maybe he needs more training. Or an assistant. 

You can also consider inviting a 3rd person to keep the discussion humble like the District Commissioner or someone you know to be fair a level headed. 

Now I do understand that we here on the forum don't know ether of you and have to trust that you are being accurate with the situation. But, if the situation and personalities are as you say in your brief post, then in reality, and in the big picture of unit problems, your issue is very small. If you can get around the personalities problem, I think you will find a simple solution. 

One last thing, when I trained unit adults, I suggested finding a CC who had the experience for the responsibilities because the CC is suppose to tells the COR what the unit needs and wants to work toward the COs goals. The reality is the CC should be dealing with this issue, and since they are not, something isn't quite right with how the unit should be doing things. That is not to say your CC isn't weak, many are and that brings it's own problems. But, if I were the SE of your council, I would be looking at why the troop committee is not functioning correctly. And you should be doing the same. Your responsibility is to bring in leaders who can do their responsibilities, which includes dealing with these issues like this. You should be the last attempt to fixing a problem. IF it is not an issue with them, then something is a miss, and you need to step back and figure that out.

Take that first step and have that cup of coffee. And the cookies, don't forget the cookies.

Barry

1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

The real issue is the personal conflict.

Absolutely.  

I'd highly suggest you sit down with the CC and SM to have coffee.  You might be the COR, but they see the day-to-day issue.  

Build relationships.  Let them do their jobs.  If they can't, then it's not just a member of committee issue.  

32 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Absolutely.  

I'd highly suggest you sit down with the CC and SM to have coffee.  You might be the COR, but they see the day-to-day issue.  

Build relationships.  Let them do their jobs.  If they can't, then it's not just a member of committee issue.  

And give the friendly reminder that both the COR and CC have the system access to sign-off on Advancement. At the end of the trail is an Eagle Application, and it is the SM and CC who signs that, not the UAC. Try to diffuse this persons attitude by coaxing the other Key 3 members handle them rather than you coming over the top is my suggestion. 

• Like 1

A little more info, please?

1. What is your relationship with the Institution Head, CC, and SM?  Do you believe they value your opinions and observations?  Does this ASM/MC/UAC have a good deal of influence with the three above?

2.  What system do you use to track advancements, and who has unfettered access?  Who visibility into the system?

3.  Do you have another person who could easily step into the role, or will there be difficulties if/when a transition is made?

I’m confused at the first line …

7 hours ago, Alec27 said:

My troop has an adult leader ASM/MC/UAC …

A fella can be the first one, the other two, but not all three. Now, we do have an ASM who logs advancement for us and chases Scoutbook bugs to ground, but in doing so frees up MC’s interested in advancement to catch when things fall through cracks.

Like others said, you may have latitude to act, but doing so can foster hard feelings. Not just with the guy who you’re dismissing but with others who will not be as ready to fulfill roles because you might treat them the same way. Also, you’re not Teflon. The troop can ask the CO’s institution head to appoint a different COR.

Frankly, if the committee is happy working with this guy, and this is his only hang-up, then let them have at it. There are more serious reasons to not want someone as your MC or ASM.

• Upvote 1