What Happened to the Online Content for ILST??

Courses SCO_1600 thru SCO_1605??

Cannot find them on https://training.scouting.org/home

The content was fine, and was a great lead-in to an in-person ILST.

Anyone know why they took it off the catalog??

GGGRRRRRRR

https://discussions.scouting.org/t/ilst-training-module/264158

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
31 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Anyone know why they took it off the catalog??

I didn't know they were public facing. From what I heard is that a couple of councils participated in an official test of online ILST and it was determiuned that wouldn't be an option going forward. 

22 minutes ago, malraux said:

It's been gone for at least a year. I think it was primarily a pandemic adaption.

Ok, but this is something BSA paid money to develop.  All sunk cost once deployed. Probably no cost to maintain.  In fact, they probably had to pay to have it taken down.  At least least leave it in place until syllabus changes made it obsolete.

Again, the content was good.  I went through the courses myself, to gauge the value before an in-person class.

I'm really shaking my head on this one...  less options for training really isn't a good solution.

34 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Ok, but this is something BSA paid money to develop.  All sunk cost once deployed. Probably no cost to maintain.  In fact, they probably had to pay to have it taken down.  At least least leave it in place until syllabus changes made it obsolete.

Again, the content was good.  I went through the courses myself, to gauge the value before an in-person class.

I'm really shaking my head on this one...  less options for training really isn't a good solution.

Especially where this is not entirely a required training, having the online available could have been the only exposure that some youth may have ever had to the content.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Seems strange to have a good product simply to remove it and cut off a convenient training vehicle, available anytime. Why is so much National does simply inexplicable?

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

I didn't know they were public facing. From what I heard is that a couple of councils participated in an official test of online ILST and it was determiuned that wouldn't be an option going forward. 

Sorry. I confused it with IOLS. The online ILST wasn’t that great, IMHO. The Scouts would benefit from older Scouts presenting. 

4 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Sorry. I confused it with IOLS. The online ILST wasn’t that great, IMHO. The Scouts would benefit from older Scouts presenting. 

The content was fine.  Agree that Scouts would benefit from older Scouts presenting the material.  Shoulda left it up to provide alternate avenue for training as @HashTagScouts points out.

11 minutes ago, PACAN said:

Try this link:  May need to copy/paste into your browser.

file:///E:/BSA%20Training/ILST_IntroSyllabus_9_11.pdf 

@PACAN, thank you, but we have full access to the syllabus.  That was not the point of my OP. 

More to the story... we have an in-person ILST coming up.  There are a few Scouts who will not be able to make the training, but need it.  I was looking for the on-line courses to provide them an alternate possibility for training.  BSA took them down some time ago.  (I did not mentor the youth last year during our early 2022 ILST, so was unaware the course had been removed.)

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

@InquisitiveScouter some councils and units have produced their own ILST. It’s a little more work to pick your flavor, but you might find a YouTube that suits you. But, not every scout needs ILST. Get a critical mass to do it over a weekend of games, and they will infect the others if you are an active troop. Also, video instruction might not suit the personality of the scouts who miss it. Don’t hesitate to share the syllabus with them.

When my daughter had to read the ILSC syllabus because she was going to teach it, she asked, “Why didn’t you teach us this?”

I bit my lip to avoid saying something unscoutlike in reply about their unwillingness to schedule a weekend for it.

• Haha 1