53 minutes ago, Double Eagle said:

Don't overlook your commissioners help with this.  Commissioners have access to training records that say what course(s) each person is missing.  Recently I reviewed a district's training with only 44% position-specific trained.  That means 56% of unit/MB leaders are going with only their experience with programs, and most of them are Pack Leaders.

When all else fails, a council nasty-gram to the chartered organization rep may help to energize those leaders.  Although some may be repetitive and boring, the on-line training is easy.  Hard to tell Scouts there are requirements when the adults don't follow their requirements.  

I would be wary of the accuracy of training reports of Scouters who have been around of while. At least three in the past 19 years, training records and PORs have disappeared. I could understand my out of council records disappearing, but ALL (emphasis) of my training, as well as every single Scouter's training records in the council disappeared. I spent about 18 months getting my district's training records fixed, and was so glad I kept a hard copy and digital copy of all that work because about 2 years later, the records disappeared again. I was able to resubmit the bulk of the records, and only the new folks/ training courses needed time to be reinputted.

ADDED:

I know at one time, National would only consider you "Trained" if you had the CURRENT (major emphasis) training courses completed. Thankfully they changed that policy, But I have noted that while I am "trained" in the records, it still wants me to take the current classes. Which is one reason why when I teach a class, I add my name to the student list as well. Last reliable DE told me to do that so I do not get flagged if national ever goes back to only current classes count.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
20 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I would be wary of the accuracy of training reports of Scouters who have been around of while. At least three in the past 19 years, training records and PORs have disappeared.

In April, our troop SM's and CC's training records disappeared.

My brother had to dig up proof he took IOLS from his emails recently because it never got recorded by his council (he was not in an SM/ASM position at that time, so it wasn't imperative to double check accurate data entry).

4 hours ago, nolesrule said:

… My brother had to dig up proof he took IOLS from his emails recently because it never got recorded by his council (he was not in an SM/ASM position at that time, so it wasn't imperative to double check accurate data entry).

It’s like I have an evil twin.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 3:48 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

SM took IOLS and Cub Specific Training in 2016.  Absolutely nothing since then other than YPT.  Same SM that has not had a real PLC since he started a year ago.  Also lets us know when and where campouts will be, sometimes two days before the event.  He NEEDS the training.

Committee members just havent done it and they dont have years and years of experience.  Some are the same that suggested to me and another leader we just plan the meetings for the Scouts because kids cant pay that much attention and they want to play.

For what it's worth, the training may tell him that he should hold PLCs at least monthly and provide adequate notice of the dates and locations for campouts but it's the committee that needs to hold him accountable and complain that he doesn't.

If I were the CC or COR, I'd insist on having a committee meeting soon to discuss the whys and wherefores of training and how the unit should function in terms of timely notifications and growing the Scouts by making the senior Scouts take some responsibility for their program.  That can't simply be dumped on them, the SM or an ASM has to teach them how to do this in a PLC.  We used to have an annual shut-in PLC in the winter specifically to teach our senior Scouts how to plan and then start to make the annual plan.

Edited by HICO_Eagle
1 hour ago, HICO_Eagle said:

For what it's worth, the training may tell him that he should hold PLCs at least monthly and provide adequate notice of the dates and locations for campouts but it's the committee that needs to hold him accountable and complain that he doesn't.

If I were the CC or COR, I'd insist on having a committee meeting soon to discuss the whys and wherefores of training and how the unit should function in terms of timely notifications and growing the Scouts by making the senior Scouts take some responsibility for their program.  That can't simply be dumped on them, the SM or an ASM has to teach them how to do this in a PLC.  We used to have an annual shut-in PLC in the winter specifically to teach our senior Scouts how to plan and then start to make the annual plan.

I have talked to our COR today and we are setting up a meeting with the COR and IH to talk about training.  It will be my job to explain to them what the training is and the importance.  Its my hope the CO will agree all the leaders will be required to at least get Position Specific to be leaders in the Unit.  

• Upvote 2