Former members at B&G

6 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Love this... I'm gonna use it. 

May I have permission to do so without citing the source or paying royalties? 😝

As with all of my qwazseisms, you all may quote with the citation “Stranger on the Internet”

• Like 1

Did this family per their Scout registration/dues for the 2022 calendar year? If so, then they were paid up till Dec31, 2022 and were delinquent by 2 months at the time of Blue & Gold. We generally treat B&G as an end of year celebration, so if they were part of the Pack until Oct, they still had some activity they participated in that the B&G dinner would cover, date-wise.

In that situation, I would have let them come in and attend. I'd also approach them separately and find out what their intentions were for the rest of the year and also remind them of the annual dues that are required (if nothing else, they need to pay the required national + council dues to be on the roster and covered by council insurance). If they didn't plan to attending any further, then you could drop the case.

Did this family per their Scout registration/dues for the 2022 calendar year? If so, then they were paid up till Dec31, 2022 and were delinquent by 2 months at the time of Blue & Gold. We generally treat B&G as an end of year celebration, so if they were part of the Pack until Oct, they still had some activity they participated in that the B&G dinner would cover, date-wise.

In that situation, I would have let them come in and attend. I'd also approach them separately and find out what their intentions were for the rest of the year and also remind them of the annual dues that are required (if nothing else, they need to pay the required national + council dues to be on the roster and covered by council insurance). If they didn't plan to attending any further, then you could drop the case.

On 3/6/2023 at 11:43 AM, IndyDad said:

I would have let them attend too.

... BUT ... Pack registration and BSA/council registration are often different.  Most packs do their finances school year to school year.  So the cub might have been good with the council, but not the pack.  I've seen this before where the people are overly watching where their money goes.  So, they try to save a few bucks by waiting to register thru the troop or registering early with the troop.  ... It saves the family a few bucks.  ... BUT, it shorts the pack and the family knew that's how the pack finances the events.  It's very self-serving to save themselves cost at the expense of how the pack has been financing things.  IMHO, it's not scout like, but people behave weird when money is involved.

Perhaps the real answer is the pack should never charge a 5th grade scout any funds to be active that year.  Instead, the cost should be fully covered by the previous years.  Then, there is no question about transitional years and everyone gets treated the same.   ... BUT, this is really a rare, one-off, situation where a family messed with the finances for their own benefit.  Do you re-design all the pack finances for a one-off problem that occurred one year?  IMHO, pack should swallow it's pride and move on.  

FYI ... I am making many assumptions.  This is based on what I've seen before.  

Edited by fred8033
On 3/6/2023 at 12:43 PM, IndyDad said:

They paid council registration for 2022, but did not pay dues for 22-23.  The dues for 21-22 covered B&G 22, not B&G 23.  As of 1 JAN 23, they were not a part of the Boy Scouts of America.  Since the former Scout is a 5th grader and was 11, they had no intention of rejoining the pack.  

• Upvote 1