Giving scouts a 2nd chance

Hi, I'm a parent who has a cub who had a less-than-stellar experience our wolf year. We're back at it now with a new den and having a great time, so fortunate we found this new troop. I'm still doing a good chunk of stuff at home as we homeschool and I have anxiety that leaving it up to another adult will leave my kid pack less again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Finding the correct pack/troop den/patrol is critical. Never let a bad experience with 1 bad den leader/assistant scout master/scout master push your scouts out of the program. There are lots of good units out there that want the scouts who will not tolerate substandard practices.

I’ve learned that every set of adults is different. When you have a contentious or unmotivated lot, it can be a hard slog. When everyone leans in a little, great things can happen … especially when the scouts start imitating those adults!

I’m not beneath bribing adults who might lean in with chocolates or flowers. They are so precious.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, qwazse said:

I’ve learned that every set of adults is different. When you have a contentious or unmotivated lot, it can be a hard slog. When everyone leans in a little, great things can happen … especially when the scouts start imitating those adults!

I’m not beneath bribing adults who might lean in with chocolates or flowers. They are so precious.

Or knots, or certificates, or the Troop paying for their Scouting classes or outings!!!

• Upvote 1