How we can keep the program affordable

As volunteers, we can't do much to control registration costs but we can impact program costs. In the Longhouse Council we have some unique things which frankly any council can have. We have a 'museum' committee and they started a 'hole in the wall' museum years ago. It attracted some good scouter followers and they ended up raising funds to build the modern 2,500 sf William Hillcourt Museum. Recently that group of volunteers agreed to create a new local Erie Canal Historic Award program that is low cost and we are having a free event in May to encourage youths to earn the award and other recognitions. Additionally, this program will introduce units to the many state facilities along the Erie Canal historic trail where they can do low cost camping. Volunteers can share all sorts of things from how to inject fun, low cost crafts to sharing resources for events (inter pack/inter troop) that are fun and exciting. Years ago one of the parents in my kids pack asked me 'when do we pay for all of this? we're getting a lot more than it is costing us." Even at todays fees, we can give families a lot more than they paid for if we all join together to put out the highest/best quality year round program experience. Low cost and free programs keep it simple and make it fun at all levels. https://www.williamhillcourtmuseum.org/announcing-a-new-award-that-can-be-earned-the-erie-canal-trail-medal-and-patch

Edited by Ojoman
added info
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Last year I spent a ridiculous amount of time making an orienteering map, then spent about $130 on a starter pack of control flags, race cards, and card punches.  It was a HUGE success.  The scouts loved being sent off into the woods alone.  The race/contest aspect was secondary.  I did have parents stationed at a few of the controls, we had water/Gatorade at one, and I was in roughly the center of the course with a full first-aid kit.  

The scouts have asked to do it again, so I'm working on a second map.  The best part is that it takes a LOT of mapping in the field, so I have an excuse to get outside and wander around the forest.  If any of you out there are in the area of the Watchung Reservation in NJ and want to use the first map, I would be more than happy to send you the map electronically.  It prints out to 11"X14".  You would have to supply your own course materials, but you can mark the control points with anything, really, then just come up with a way for scouts to mark that they visited each individual station.  If you have enough parents (10), they could man each point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, swilliams said:

Last year I spent a ridiculous amount of time making an orienteering map, then spent about $130 on a starter pack of control flags, race cards, and card punches.  It was a HUGE success.  The scouts loved being sent off into the woods alone.  The race/contest aspect was secondary.  I did have parents stationed at a few of the controls, we had water/Gatorade at one, and I was in roughly the center of the course with a full first-aid kit.  

The scouts have asked to do it again, so I'm working on a second map.  The best part is that it takes a LOT of mapping in the field, so I have an excuse to get outside and wander around the forest.  If any of you out there are in the area of the Watchung Reservation in NJ and want to use the first map, I would be more than happy to send you the map electronically.  It prints out to 11"X14".  You would have to supply your own course materials, but you can mark the control points with anything, really, then just come up with a way for scouts to mark that they visited each individual station.  If you have enough parents (10), they could man each point.

You a member of DVOA??

On 2/10/2023 at 8:36 AM, Ojoman said:

As volunteers, we can't do much to control registration costs but we can impact program costs. In the Longhouse Council we have some unique things which frankly any council can have. We have a 'museum' committee and they started a 'hole in the wall' museum years ago. It attracted some good scouter followers and they ended up raising funds to build the modern 2,500 sf William Hillcourt Museum. Recently that group of volunteers agreed to create a new local Erie Canal Historic Award program that is low cost and we are having a free event in May to encourage youths to earn the award and other recognitions. Additionally, this program will introduce units to the many state facilities along the Erie Canal historic trail where they can do low cost camping. Volunteers can share all sorts of things from how to inject fun, low cost crafts to sharing resources for events (inter pack/inter troop) that are fun and exciting. Years ago one of the parents in my kids pack asked me 'when do we pay for all of this? we're getting a lot more than it is costing us." Even at todays fees, we can give families a lot more than they paid for if we all join together to put out the highest/best quality year round program experience. Low cost and free programs keep it simple and make it fun at all levels. https://www.williamhillcourtmuseum.org/announcing-a-new-award-that-can-be-earned-the-erie-canal-trail-medal-and-patch

Years ago one of the parents in my kids pack asked me 'when do we pay for all of this? we're getting a lot more than it is costing us."      That is an interesting comment if I am reading it correctly.  A parent asking when the other shoe of cost may drop?  It is usually not that kind of comment we hear, so it must have been refreshing.  Yes, we can find many ways of spreading the wealth while spreading the cost too.  Sadly, far too many choose to ignore those realities and just seem to feel they have little need to contribute.  Meanwhile we hope to keep heads above water, or simply absorb because it is fun or rewarding for us, as well as them.  Then you have a Scout Sunday at your church where your unit has met for a centry plus, and the congregation smiles and loves the scouts and makes it clear it IS important.

50 minutes ago, skeptic said:

Years ago one of the parents in my kids pack asked me 'when do we pay for all of this? we're getting a lot more than it is costing us."      That is an interesting comment if I am reading it correctly.  A parent asking when the other shoe of cost may drop?  It is usually not that kind of comment we hear, so it must have been refreshing.  Yes, we can find many ways of spreading the wealth while spreading the cost too.  Sadly, far too many choose to ignore those realities and just seem to feel they have little need to contribute.  Meanwhile we hope to keep heads above water, or simply absorb because it is fun or rewarding for us, as well as them.  Then you have a Scout Sunday at your church where your unit has met for a centry plus, and the congregation smiles and loves the scouts and makes it clear it IS important.

It's great to see the families attend a Scout Sunday service. Our pack promoted the religious awards program and had the awards presented at a service... not all the kids were the same faith so it was quite ecumenical.  Adding a religious awards program (most faiths offer two awards for cubs, one for younger and one for Webelos) is a fairly inexpensive way to expand program and provide both fun and recognition. 

11 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

You a member of DVOA??

Please understand that my brain has been for sale on eBay for some years, without sale, but is harder than most road bricks.

And DVOA?  Who would they be?  The "Department of Volunteer Orangutang Advocates?"

I am just a slow-minded nobody. And just so content to be slow-minded, and a nobody.

BUT, when somebody seeks to communicate to another, it is somebody's responsibility to actually COMMUNICATE to the others.  And to communicate such that the intended recipient of the communication can understand it.

So, "DVOA," Je, ne comprend pas.

The question was directed at @swilliams

LOL, yes, DVOA is the Delaware Valley Orienteering Association.  (context?  no orangutans mentioned... orienteering was the subject answered... Google DVOA and orienteering and voila...)

https://www.dvoa.org/

They create orienteering maps for many state parks and public areas around the Delaware Valley.  They also sponsor orienteering events in the area.

Although I have never met anyone from DVOA, we have used their products extensively.  So, @swilliams, if you are a DVOA member, THANK YOU!

Here is a sampling of some of their publicly available maps:

http://elibrary.dcnr.pa.gov/GetDocument?docId=3559452&DocName=HICK_Orienteering.pdf

https://www.dvoa.org/learn/perm/French-Creek-Hopewell-OPC_2015.pdf

https://www.dvoa.org/learn/perm/Fort-Washington-OPC_2020.pdf

Enjoy!

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

The question was directed at @swilliams

LOL, yes, DVOA is the Delaware Valley Orienteering Association.  (context?  no orangutans mentioned... orienteering was the subject answered... Google DVOA and orienteering and voila...)

https://www.dvoa.org/

They create orienteering maps for many state parks and public areas around the Delaware Valley.  They also sponsor orienteering events in the area.

Although I have never met anyone from DVOA, we have used their products extensively.  So, @swilliams, if you are a DVOA member, THANK YOU!

Here is a sampling of some of their publicly available maps:

http://elibrary.dcnr.pa.gov/GetDocument?docId=3559452&DocName=HICK_Orienteering.pdf

https://www.dvoa.org/learn/perm/French-Creek-Hopewell-OPC_2015.pdf

https://www.dvoa.org/learn/perm/Fort-Washington-OPC_2020.pdf

Enjoy!

I am not.  I've been looking for other opportunities for our scouts that don't involve me trying to draw my own maps, haha, so thank you for those links.