2023 National Jamboree - Cost/Attendance

9 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

My CC who said the comments is a 20 veteran who has been to Philmont and WB with no kids in the program anymore.

YOB TOVU MAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Non of my Scouts could afford that.

Yup. Council is charging $2,900 for Jambo.  

3 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

We have a lot of open spaces for jambo in our council.  Wonder why Scouts aren't going? (No, I'm not wondering, really...)

Rumor is National Jamboree almost hit their limit 15,000 scouts.  

5 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Rumor is National Jamboree almost hit their limit 15,000 scouts.  

Wow, are you sure that was their target?

15K seems really low.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/08/26/putting-jamboree-attendance-numbers-in-historical-perspective/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Scout_jamboree_(Boy_Scouts_of_America)

7 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Reports from some on Facebook indicate they are almost at 14,500 and have set a limit of 15,000 scouts due to staffing limits.  

5 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Reports from some on Facebook indicate they are almost at 14,500 and have set a limit of 15,000 scouts due to staffing limits.  

Yeah, I would have been happy to donate my time and talent to work at the jamboree.

Just not going to pay $1200 for the privilege. (Plus travel costs to and fro.)

https://jamboree.scouting.org/jamboree-service-team/

4 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Yeah, I would have been happy to donate my time and talent to work at the jamboree.

Just not going to pay $1200 for the privilege. (Plus travel costs to and fro.)

https://jamboree.scouting.org/jamboree-service-team/

We had an ASM who volunteered for years.  He led one of the groups at Jambo and his out of pocket was over $5K per jambo.  That included air travel & hotels in Dallas to prepare.  At some point, they ask far too much from volunteers.

Edited by Eagle1993
  • Upvote 1

It’s expensive for this year, but it was also expensive in 2013 & 2017 - even as a staff member it was expensive to volunteer for the experience that it was.  But look at the cost of the cool high adventure trips too - it’s in line with those.  

I’ve heard from several scouts at their Eagle Board of Review (when asked what would they like to see change in BSA for those that are coming behind them) that they and their parents feel the trips like those are too expensive and that hurts those that are challenged economically- the scouts look surprised when reminded there are ways to fundraise and earn money for these adventures.  

A capacity of 15,000 is about 2.3% of 2021 Scouts BSA membership, so this is a lean year.

But … most Jambo-bound leaders had to choose between World and National Scout jamborees. A small minority have chosen to attend back-to-back events. That’s contributed to staffing shortages at Summit, and small numbers representing the USA in Korea.

For wannabe staffers, I have suggested and will repeat … if it really matters, take whatever you would spend to go , maybe divide that number by two, and offer it to another young adult who should go. For example your limit might be $500, but the scouter who knows you think that much of him/her might pull together balance of what is needed to attend.

The same *could* apply to youth. If your Eagle Scouts and others think that their troop should be represented at Jambo, pitch in to cut the fare for your best scout to go.

This decade is really forcing scouters to come to terms with what is really “worth it” for them. It may be that future Jamborees will forgo big name acts, and the arena will showcase more scout-grown talent. There might be fewer add-ons, like tours of the DC. We might pass on some of the circus that is WV’s playground.

Or, some really great council camporees might come to the fore.

Our council is charging $2,400 for the Jamboree. 

The actual fee is of course lower.  Effective November 1, 2022, the price for a Contingent member registering for the Jamboree will increase to $1,500 (14% or $215) due to economic conditions such as fuel, food, and supply issues. It is strongly recommended that Councils modify their advertised pricing to reflect this change. The payment plan is being revised and should allow both BSA Members and Councils additional time to transition member payments to councils and council payments to the Jamboree.

Still, that seems high for what is basically 2 weeks of summer camp (10 days).  If council fees for summer camp are $450 for the SUN - SAT experience, basically 6 days, that is $75 per day.  A 10 day Jamboree would be maybe $750.  Effectively National has doubled what may be effective.  I am assuming they will have creative book keeping to show they barely made a profit.

Then the councils are adding their profit to the mix.

Philmont is now (2024) $1,575 for a 12 day trek, so $131 per day.  BSA is mighty pricey.

Edited by Jameson76
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, qwazse said:

It may be that future Jamborees will forgo big name acts, and the arena will showcase more scout-grown talent. There might be fewer add-ons, like tours of the DC.

Wait, what? American jamborees have big-name non-scout performers and add-on tours? No wonder it's so expensive.

Our campfire arena had 100% scout talent and there was nothing to tour because we were sitting in the middle of the forest in a temporary city made out of slender young trees and rope and tents. Granted, this was now decades ago so I'm sure it's more expensive now in Sweden as well, but still... We were dropped off by our parents or by buses and picked up 1-2 weeks later.

@AwakeEnergyScouter, search YouTube for “Swedish Jamboree” to see what they are about nowadays.

But, indeed, USA National Jamborees traditionally drew a lot of big names — including the King of Sweden! When I was a scout in the ‘81 Jamboree pioneering area, he visited, and we launched a catapult for him.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

@AwakeEnergyScouterBut, indeed, USA National Jamborees traditionally drew a lot of big names — including the King of Sweden!

What? You would think he would come to ours! 🤪

Actually, now that I think about, he does. The rumor went around camp that the King was there, but my patrol couldn't figure out where in time to see him.

Edited by AwakeEnergyScouter
Remembered that he does.

Here's more a question for those familiar with Summitt. I am taking a short drive as a guest visitor to the reserve during the Jamboree.

Need some help identifying the "must see" portions of the reserve/jamboree.  I've attended jamborees at A.P. Hill, but I'm sure it's just not the same.

I have a 6hr pass and want to see the best of the site.

On 2/11/2023 at 12:17 PM, Jameson76 said:

Our council is charging $2,400 for the Jamboree. 

The actual fee is of course lower.  Effective November 1, 2022, the price for a Contingent member registering for the Jamboree will increase to $1,500 (14% or $215) due to economic conditions such as fuel, food, and supply issues. It is strongly recommended that Councils modify their advertised pricing to reflect this change. The payment plan is being revised and should allow both BSA Members and Councils additional time to transition member payments to councils and council payments to the Jamboree.

Still, that seems high for what is basically 2 weeks of summer camp (10 days).  If council fees for summer camp are $450 for the SUN - SAT experience, basically 6 days, that is $75 per day.  A 10 day Jamboree would be maybe $750.  Effectively National has doubled what may be effective.  I am assuming they will have creative book keeping to show they barely made a profit.

Then the councils are adding their profit to the mix.

Philmont is now (2024) $1,575 for a 12 day trek, so $131 per day.  BSA is mighty pricey.

It sure is.  I just did a little back of the envelope math.  We are headed to WDW in Florida this summer.  For an 8 day trip its gonna run us about $1700 per person.  Disney resort hotel, tickets, food estimate.  

• Upvote 1