MB counselors in the community

There are many activities my Scouts do outside the troop, hockey, skiing, loads of stuff. If only those coaches were merit badge counselors. Perhaps I could get in touch with them and ask. I always ask the Scouts parents to ask the coach but Ive never gotten a favorable response to that.

Question: if the coach has already done youth protection from some other organization, would that count or does it pretty much have to be the Scouts BSA YP program?

boy, not enough hours in the day... 

16 hours ago, RainShine said:

There are many activities my Scouts do outside the troop, hockey, skiing, loads of stuff. If only those coaches were merit badge counselors. Perhaps I could get in touch with them and ask. I always ask the Scouts parents to ask the coach but Ive never gotten a favorable response to that.

Question: if the coach has already done youth protection from some other organization, would that count or does it pretty much have to be the Scouts BSA YP program?

boy, not enough hours in the day... 

One thing I have done is to become an MBC for much of the stuff I can do also, outside of professional or deep hobby interests.

So, although I am no ski instructor or coach, I can do and teach all of the skills for Alpine and Nordic skiing in the Snow Sports Merit Badge.  I do not mess with Snowboarding.  But, if there is a Scout who Snowboards, and they work with an instructor or coach who does know those things, I can have a conversation with the Scout and coach about the requirements and reach a level of satisfaction that the Scout has completed the requirements for the Snowboarding portion.

I have no issue signing off the badge then.

I firmly believe a great part of being an MBC for a particular subject does not mean you know everything about it, but that you have more than a passing knowledge of the subject, and KNOW where to tap into resources to guide the Scout as he completes the requirements, or needs some instruction or guidance to complete the requirements. 

There is no need to recruit a Subject Matter Expert to be the counselor...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter