Can a COR serve as a MBC ?

One of our adult leaders, an ASM who was also a 5 badge MBC, needed to step in as our COR when ours passed away.  Obviously he lost his ASM position, which has been a heartbreak for all of us, but now, all of a sudden, his MB credentials have an expiration date in his SB profile.  Do MBC credentials actually expire, or are his being pulled because he is now a COR ?  

Edited by Alec27
59 minutes ago, Alec27 said:

One of our adult leaders, an ASM who was also a 5 badge MBC, needed to step in as our COR when ours passed away.  Obviously he lost his ASM position, which has been a heartbreak for all of us, but now, all of a sudden, his MB credentials have an expiration date in his SB profile.  Do MBC credentials actually expire, or are his being pulled because he is now a COR ?  

How does being COR affect this leader's ability to serve as an ASM?  I understand an adult can only be registered in one position.  However, the training and experience of being an ASM didn't evaporate with the change in primary position.  I see no reason why he can't attend meetings and events with a COR patch and still help and assist Scouts.

Scoutbook shows the Youth Protection Training expiration date for MBCs.

MBCs must renew their registration with the district annually and like other positions need to keep their YPT current.

Edited by nolesrule
11 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

How does being COR affect this leader's ability to serve as an ASM?  I understand an adult can only be registered in one position.  However, the training and experience of being an ASM didn't evaporate with the change in primary position.  I see no reason why he can't attend meetings and events with a COR patch and still help and assist Scouts.

This is ideal / program design versus what a troop might need to do to succeed.  

The design and ideal is the COR is above CC/SM/ASMs/MCs.  When problems occur, there needs to be a clear chain of command and a clear separation of responsibilities.  Similar, the SM is above the ASMs.  The SM guides how the program is implemented, guides the ASMs and is the final say in interactions with the scouts.  CC guides the MCs and is the final say for the committee.  As the COR effectively selects the leaders, it is delicate then for the SM and other ASMs whether the COR is honestly acting as just another ASM or using his COR voice.  

This is very similar to the former SM stepping down to just be an ASM.  It can work.  Troops benefits from lots of experience.  BUT, it also often causes issues for the next SM as leaders and scouts still look to the previous SM for guidance.  Also, the former SM can easily overstep the boundary of an ASM.  

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, fred8033 said:

This is ideal / program design versus what a troop might need to do to succeed.  

The design and ideal is the COR is above CC/SM/ASMs/MCs.  When problems occur, there needs to be a clear chain of command and a clear separation of responsibilities.  Similar, the SM is above the ASMs.  The SM guides how the program is implemented, guides the ASMs and is the final say in interactions with the scouts.  CC guides the MCs and is the final say for the committee.  As the COR effectively selects the leaders, it is delicate then for the SM and other ASMs whether the COR is honestly acting as just another ASM or using his COR voice.  

This is very similar to the former SM stepping down to just be an ASM.  It can work.  Troops benefits from lots of experience.  BUT, it also often causes issues for the next SM as leaders and scouts still look to the previous SM for guidance.  Also, the former SM can easily overstep the boundary of an ASM.  

Apparently a lot has changed. Back in the day, the only PORs a COR could hold were IH, COR, and CC.  And yes, I knew an IH who held all three, plus district chairman. Most COR's  may have done either the IH and COR or COR and CC.

At least since 2019, and probably earlier, the COR could hold the COR and CC, or MC PORs. That info comes from the 2019 membership registration book.

Recently, there was an Aaron on Scouting post stating that the COR can fill any POR. 

Thank you all for the info.  That's awesome !  But I guess our big question is, "Can a Chartered Organization Representative serve as a Merit Badge Counselor" ?  

Thanks again.  This forum has been so helpful for me and our troop!

14 minutes ago, Alec27 said:

Thank you all for the info.  That's awesome !  But I guess our big question is, "Can a Chartered Organization Representative serve as a Merit Badge Counselor" ?  

Thanks again.  This forum has been so helpful for me and our troop!

Yes.  One person can be both COR and a MBC.    COR is a unit/charter org position.  MBC is a council position; not a unit position.  They do not overlap.

Edited by fred8033