I need a horror story

It's coming up fast on re-chartering time. This should be as easy as pouring water out of a boot with the directions written on the heel. Unfortunately, there are always foot-dragging unit leaders.

I'd like a (mostly) true story of a unit or unit leader who got his tail in a crack because he had an injury case and the boy wasn't covered by Scout insurance, due to late re-charter, or just failing to turn in the boy's registration form.

Thanks,

Doc

"I'm lost... but I'm making good time."

It is unlikely that will happen happen. Remember that the BSA accident protection is a secondary provider. That means it will pay for medical services due to an injury that is not covered by the scout's primary provider or that extends beyond the coverage of the primary provider. In rare cases that a scout has no primary provider the BSA coverage becomes primary.

So in most cases the BSA policy ends up paying only the deductable. So for a couple hundred dollars the BSA is not going to deny coverage and risk a time consuming more costly lawsuit.

A more likely scenario is that a scout in a lapsed charter unit becomes injured, the parents sue, and the Co and adults discover that they have no BSA liability protection and so have to defend themselves at their own cost and become personally liable for any monetary judgement against them. Again very rare and one that is likely to be unreported on this forum because the adult involved can no longer afford to have a computer or internet service :(.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

The accident policy is not BSA insurance, as the BSA does not write insurance polices. It is a youth group accident policy issued by a insurance company and marketed to a BSA units. The BSA has no interest in it other than local councils put them in their recharter packets and may as a courtesy to the units have a supply of claim forms. They may themselves have a policy covering their camps.

Our troop was chartered in 1956. Been very active all those years.. Six years ago the person responsible for doing the recharter didn't get it turned in and our charter lasped. Well guess what. Now our troop has officially been chartered 6 years. So all that history is now off paper.

Lynda J, not necessarily true. Your troop has no longer been CONTINUOUSLY chartered since 1956 ( a very good year mind you. It brought me into the world! :) ) so you can't have thoe nifty add-ons on your unit numerals. But, unless your troop rechartered as a different troop it has a history going back to 1956.

Our troop was established in 1924. It has changed COs and even had the charter lapse for some time but all that history is still retained by our council.

NWScouter

While what you say is true in some councils it is no longer true in most. Most councils no longer bill the units as an option, but pay for the policy as a council wide group coverage.

The greater danger in the situation given by docmobley is in loss of adult liability protection and not the youth accident coverage.

I don't know about other councils. But in ours if we turn our recharter in on time all of our Rank Advancement patcher are free. If it is not turned in on time the troop has to pay for them.

If you have a rather large hard working troop this can save you lots of money.

Another thing you might bring up that might happen. If a troop does not get their charter renewed, then the scouts are not registered. If during that period of time they earn a rank, they may not be eligible for that rank since they were not registered.